Posts: 29 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
I was wondering if anyone knew if making Skype calls using pre-purchased credits was possible on this device? More specifically in order to make international calls to landline/mobile numbers via Skype's service?

The reason I ask is because I recently watched a video (that live web stream) where it was said that Skype isn't an actual app itself, but rather more deeply integrated into the OS. This sorta raised my concern that the credit-calling feature might not be possible due to it not being a seperate app, but instead limited to just skype-account to skype-account communication.

Just a minor concern on top of an already plethoric-pile of pluses that is the N900

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ae0n; 2009-10-18 at 19:22.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by ae0n View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew if making Skype calls using pre-purchased credits was possible on this devise? More specifically in order to make international calls to landline/mobile numbers via Skype's service?

The reason I ask is because I recently watched a video (that live web stream) where it was said that Skype isn't an actual app itself, but rather more deeply integrated into the OS. This sorta raised my concern that the credit-calling feature might not be possible due to it not being a seperate app, but instead limited to just skype-account to skype-account communication.

Just a minor concern on top of an already plethoric-pile of pluses that is the N900

Thanks in advance!
I just took a screenshot for you. I hope this answers your questions:

In other words, yes, it's a full version of Skype, not just account to account.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by ae0n View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew if making Skype calls using pre-purchased credits was possible on this devise? More specifically in order to make international calls to landline/mobile numbers via Skype's service?

Thanks in advance!
I have an N800 and have been using Skype for years in the manner you describe. I don't see why the N900 would not.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
That's fantastic! Thanks for your replies!

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I just took a screenshot for you. I hope this answers your questions:

In other words, yes, it's a full version of Skype, not just account to account.
The Skype Lite (Java ME) does not allow account to account calling for free. On Symbian this sucks because there is no native client, and compared to other SIP its a step backwards.

Does it cost money to use account to account calling with Maemo's Skype?

Does the program use a lot of resources? Especially networking for its P2P network I wonder about.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
In Amsterdam last week, I purchased a 10-euro SIM card and used it in my loaner N900 to connect to T-Mobile Internet when wifi was not available to me (eg, at the Hotel Ibis).

I accessed my Skype account and called my home phone in New Jersey. Everything worked fine, except nobody was home so I ended up talking with the answering machine.

Maybe this doesn't qualify as a connected phone call, since it was a machine and not a person that answered, but the cost and quality were all fine at my end.

Roger S

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
The Skype Lite (Java ME) does not allow account to account calling for free. On Symbian this sucks because there is no native client, and compared to other SIP its a step backwards.

Does the program use a lot of resources? Especially networking for its P2P network I wonder about.
As far as I know, account to account calling doesn't cost money beyond the cost for data from your carrier. No, it doesn't seem to use a lot of resources. P2P networking for Skype is only used on desktops as far as I know.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Philadelphia, PA
Would it be possible to get a data plan from TMobile and just use Google Voice or Skype with the N900? If Skype works over 3G, why would I need a phone number from Tmobile?

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
No. The Skype version for Maemo is, as far as I can tell (by look&feel) a recompile of a Linux version for the desktop (an earlier one than the one I currently have on my actual desktop). It works just the same way.

When idle, no. I've left Skype active & connected for hours through a tethered phone, watching the amount of data through that 'connection administration' tool (which shows the amount of data sent&received), and although there is some traffic it only accumulates to some hundred kilobytes after a couple of hours. In this mode I haven't been voice-talking to anyone, only using chat now and then.

Disclaimer: All of the above is of course with the version of Skype that is on my N800, not the N900 version.

EDIT: As to P2P networking, I'm quite certain that this version *does* work the same way as the desktop version, otherwise it wouldn't be able to work its way through firewalls the way it does.
My guess is that it will never go into supernode mode though (because that would easily suck a lot of data through the connection).

Last edited by TA-t3; 2009-10-19 at 13:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post: