hello!
have anyone tried booting up maemo on the linux based HTC magic? it runs android today so it shouldnt be so hard to boot up maemo, should it? im not a developer myself, so im really asking you skilled guys out there if it would be possible and if you want to give it a try

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by sleepr View Post
hello!
have anyone tried booting up maemo on the linux based HTC magic? it runs android today so it shouldnt be so hard to boot up maemo, should it? im not a developer myself, so im really asking you skilled guys out there if it would be possible and if you want to give it a try
Sorry, that's not going to happen.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
HTC Hero = a new device with last year's spec.

Samsung i8910 has practically the same hardware as Nokia N900...

Could it ever be possible to install Maemo on it? Maybe some skilled programmers could port it to Samsung, i guess it can't be that hard - it has the same processors as Nokia...

Or is it a stupid question? I had Nokia 5800 for 9 months now, and now i have the Samsung 8910, and dislike Symbian

Is this question really that stupid or nobody knows?

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Seattle
Probably no one knows. I think it would be Mer that's ported anyway, and I also think it depends less on the specs than on how locked-down the firmware is.

The Following User Says Thank You to davidgro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Wrocław / Poland
So I was wondering if able to run Maemo 5 OS on another phone, for example, Iphone or Palm Pre 3GS. The HW is reasonably similar? The main difference is the type of screen (capaciticve vs. resestive) and sesolution. What do you think? It would be great to have Maemo 5 / 6 on IPhone 3 GS? I think it may be possible because Maemo 6 will support capacitive multitouch screen.

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
No, just no.

Seriously.

It won't even be worth the trouble. And currently, think there is some kind of barely working linux port on the iphone, without, for example, touchscreen support.

If you want to speculate, iPhone has also lower resolution display and that'd mean UI-rewamping.

The iPhone isn't a hacker friendly device, unlike for example n810, that even has a mostly working Android port!

Last edited by joppu; 2009-10-21 at 15:11.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
it would be kinda cool to run maemo on these lower specced devices.
the main issue outside of drivers themselves is how well maemo UI would fit on a low resolution display.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Iphone has 320 × 480 screen resolution. All Maemo devices so far have 800x480.
No, it wouldn't just scale down.

Tags
fremantle, harmattan, install, iphone, maemo, maemo 4, maemo 5, maemo 6, mer, non-nokia, operating system, palm pre