Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
I got mine back from repair after few weeks, no questions! The motherboard was replaced and screen too (it was scratchy!) Now I use display protector.

But for charging battery there are cheap external chargers on ebay. Charging is no problem.

I wonder if you could do a conference call with Nokia Care and Nokia Service in order to speed up the bouncing customer around process.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
I hope that the issues I am experiencing with my N900 (where using the wall charger in particular doesn't make contact properly) don't require my phone to go into Nokia care for another week or more like last time

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Well, mine's in, you can guess for what.
Been checking the online process status with almost religious fervor for a week now, and it seems to finally have gotten off the shelf and all the way to the technician.

*fingers crossed*

Hello, i'm facing same problem here

My n900 won't charge or transfer data, after taking it in NCC,
The engineer said there's one loose pin or something...
and they said it would take 9-23 days to fix it because they had to solder it in the factory
I asked him what if i fix it myself,
he said that would void the warranty, besides it's too dangerous and it may damage the motherboard because it requires delicate equipments, not just regular soldering method..

What do you guys think?
Should i look for another alternative?
There's few good repair shop in my town here, but what he said kinda scared me

Please advise me what should i do because i need the phone for my job and 2-3 weeks is just too long

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by shuraizo View Post
Hello, i'm facing same problem here

My n900 won't charge or transfer data, after taking it in NCC,
The engineer said there's one loose pin or something...
and they said it would take 9-23 days to fix it because they had to solder it in the factory
I asked him what if i fix it myself,
he said that would void the warranty, besides it's too dangerous and it may damage the motherboard because it requires delicate equipments, not just regular soldering method..

What do you guys think?
Should i look for another alternative?
There's few good repair shop in my town here, but what he said kinda scared me

Please advise me what should i do because i need the phone for my job and 2-3 weeks is just too long
If you're ever planning on using the warranty in future then you'll need to go via Nokia. If you need a phone in the meantime, you could try asking them for a loan.

If you're prepared to throw away the warranty, then by all means go elsewhere - make sure wherever you go will cover the cost if they completely ruin your phone though. The soldering's probably a bit tricky because it's not mounted through the PCB, but I'd expect any reputable repair shop to be able to handle it (or at least they'd tell you that they couldn't).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Planet Earth, sometimes
My USB port came off the motherboard too. Nokia replaced the motherboard. Took about ten days from when I sent it in, to getting it back.

The thing is, I had a look at the new motherboard, and it doesnt look like the USB connector is any better connected to it compared to before.

So I'm thinking the design fault hasnt been fixed, and the USB port will come off again eventually.

Does anyone know if they actually changed the design to fix this issue properly?

Just a question about warranty. When you take it to a Nokia Care Point do you need the receipt, or do they just look up the IMEI?

Is it a two-year warranty?

Thanks. Don't want this to happen to me and get caught short.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Dead1nside View Post
Just a question about warranty. When you take it to a Nokia Care Point do you need the receipt, or do they just look up the IMEI?

Is it a two-year warranty?

Thanks. Don't want this to happen to me and get caught short.
The warranty length depends on where you are. Within the EU it's a 2 year warranty, but a lot of other places will be just 1 year.

I don't think they ask for any receipt (I've not had to take mine in yet). Normally your warranty is through the place you bought it, but if Nokia is accepting warranty claims directly then it shouldn't matter where you bought it (or whether you have any proof of purchase). I'm not sure whether the IMEI would allow them to pinpoint the date of sale though, so they want a receipt to determine that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
I don't think they ask for any receipt (I've not had to take mine in yet). Normally your warranty is through the place you bought it, but if Nokia is accepting warranty claims directly then it shouldn't matter where you bought it (or whether you have any proof of purchase). I'm not sure whether the IMEI would allow them to pinpoint the date of sale though, so they want a receipt to determine that.
Thanks. I've had to take my Nokia N82 into a care point when the ear-piece speaker stopped working, they just replaced it for free (I guessed at the time that Nokia pays them for completed repairs, as I just had to write my name and address and things).

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty