hello all.

a bit of some history.
i bought the n900 here in baghdad about 4 or so months ago. at the time these forums were jam packed with the whole usb falling apart problem so i took mine apart, glued it and started to use it then i ran into the problem of the sliding "crackle" sound.
i was really not happy with the device at the time... the software wasnt so great and the problems i had werent exactly something i could deal with.

time has passed and i see a new software update has kicked in ... i tested a unit at a friend 2 days ago... it had 10.2 or something very new (i dont remember) ... it had new features plus it was really fast.

my questions are simple:

are the problems now fixed? the usb falling apart issue... and how about the crackling screen issue?
is there a new batch that fixed/fixes those?
so if i buy one now what do i check for or will i end up buying the same hardware with the same issues like my usb will fall off ?

also is $475 a fair price for the unit? its unlocked. at the time i paid $540.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I've had mine since mid January, not had any of the issues you've described, though people do still occasionally complain about the USB, I however use mine quite, well, ruggedly and have not seen any sign of failure. I do however have insurance so even if my USB fell off it wouldn't bother me and there is always Nokia care centres if available in your area (probably unlikely in Baghdad though I think you may be able to find a cheeper unit if you look hard enough (ebay maybe) .... hope this helps.

I think the USB issue was eleviated slightly with using proper USB cables and chargers that don't put as much of a strain on the device as others. Though, glueing like you describe will probably make you feel safer. (though voiding any kind of warranty you may get with your purchase).

I'd suggest making sure that the software currently available suites you needs before buying. The device is clearly meant for people kind of like me that enjoy hacking their devices and customizing things.

A few searches on this forum should help you understand the current views towards the platform though try to be level headed and you probably wont end up being dissapointed.

The Following User Says Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the reply!

Actually when i first bought mine (last time) i immediately freaked out when i read about the USB problem so i ripped it open and glued the usb jack. Heck i am not even sure if mine had a problem all i know is i ripped it open and applied.

Then i started to have the screen crackling pressure problem .. its the one where when you tap on the screen (at the top) it would make a funny crackle sound. Its documented on the forums here.

I am curious if nokia managed to push out a new batch of the n900s with these issues resolved... that's really my main reason for this post.

also, maemo still doesn't have the simple ability to assign a caller their own ring-tone! way to go!!!

so I'll reserve my hopes about maemo 6.

and yes i am a geek at heart (system administrator by trade) so the n900 is the substitute for sex! (ha ha)

on the hand; its worth mentioning that i currently have a n97 and a sony ericsson vivaz. both of which i hate cause the n97 is sluggish and crappy / non geek friendly!

If you aren't in a hurry, keep your eye out on pricing. I've seen the n900 drop as low as $320 new and unlocked from a very reputable DEaLLer.

What do you mean screen crackling issue? Do you mean when pressing on a certain part of the screen it clicks a bit? Wow, that is not a big deal. There is probably just some dirt causung it to stick. You can clean it with a sheet of paper, or even just ignore it. I just had to check right now if mine does it.

And your usb most likely was fine.

There was nothing wrong with your n900. You should of just kept it.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by cylent View Post
Actually when i first bought mine (last time) i immediately freaked out when i read about the USB problem so i ripped it open and glued the usb jack. Heck i am not even sure if mine had a problem all i know is i ripped it open and applied.

Then i started to have the screen crackling pressure problem .. its the one where when you tap on the screen (at the top) it would make a funny crackle sound. Its documented on the forums here.

I am curious if nokia managed to push out a new batch of the n900s with these issues resolved... that's really my main reason for this post.
I'm not aware of any changes to the design.

Originally Posted by cylent View Post
also, maemo still doesn't have the simple ability to assign a caller their own ring-tone! way to go!!!
There's an app for that! There's also been an explanation posted about why this wasn't (and won't be) implemented by Nokia.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
In your case.. i would have bought two. One to play with and one as backup if the other break.

So far there is nothing compared to the n900 and it might take awhile until it is.

well thanks all for the posts. i just bought one for $430 and its still in the box.

i need to find the firmware to support arabic as i have seen some units here in baghdad that can have full arabic support. if anyone wants to direct me to that i'd be grateful.

@AlMehdi: You can say that again. I just killed my N900 a few hours ago and already I feel the need to get another one.

reviving an old thread. my last one died on me for -- it wouldn't charge the battery -- the microsd card holder (metal thing) fell out and while i have tried so many android phones since last october (2010) i have decided its time to re-buy yet another n900 so thats what i did today.
i dont know why i like the n900 maybe cause i am a geek ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cylent For This Useful Post: