what about in USA????

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by kaos_king
what are the differences?
The UK government require phone manufactures to install a backdoor into the firmware so they can remotely access/listen in to the phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post:
I originally had the Vodafone version and flashed to generic UK to get 1.2

I just gave up waiting and flashed to global. No problems. As previously mentioned, as long as you do a backup (I did mine to memory card), then follow the flashing instructions and restore your backup afterwards, there is very little that you lose. It just takes some time for it to redownload all your applications, but it does that for you, you don't have to go and find them again.

Overall much easier than you would think.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by jd4200 View Post
The UK government require phone manufactures to install a backdoor into the firmware so they can remotely access/listen in to the phone.
You sir, are an idiot. I quote strongm:

Originally Posted by strongm View Post
No. Given the open nature of the firmware and the type of user that the N900 tends to have, this would be pointless

Originally Posted by purceywise View Post
Oh well, its not as though they actively messaged us to let us know that an update was available.... oh... wait...

I have made myself sad now.
Nokia *have* actively messaged. The SMS I received from Nokia, on 28th October, says:

"New software is available for your Nokia N900. To update and enjoy great new features go to nokia.co.uk/softwareupdate on your PC"

Product ID: 0593611

There is no update available - yet.

Originally Posted by nathaneous View Post
about as dangerous as boiling an egg lol

honetly guys you should flash your device. i used to be in same position as you post pr1.2
i had brought my phone from vodafone and was running their firmware variant. it was painful waiting around for an update that was never coming!

i'm no geek, just a regular user and after reading a few threads and the wiki i just flashed to pr 1.2 global. i done a backup and only flashed the firmware not emmc. follow instructions, its very simple only takes like half hour. once thats done just do a backup restore and all your settings and apps will be reinstalled on your device.

simples (compare the meerkat lol)
That is the kind of comment I needed to make up my mind, as never done it before and wasnt 100% sure what would happen after regards re-install. Thanks. Might give it a whirl tonight.

As I am lazy and cannot be bothered with looking through this post, does anyone have any news on PR1.3 release date? Again, I apologise for being lazy!

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by dekor View Post
As I am lazy and cannot be bothered with looking through this post, does anyone have any news on PR1.3 release date? Again, I apologise for being lazy!
Someone from Nokia UK has allegedly indicated that the update would be delayed a couple of weeks. Whether or not you believe this person actually knew what they were talking about is another matter - I'm sure I remember similar claims for earlier delayed firmware releases.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
It's bizarre, because using Navifirm you can even download the firmware image for the UK variant of PR1.3, so it makes you wonder why they are delaying pushing it OTA and onto tablets-dev, really..

Meh, I'd still rather wait for OTA than have to flash to global. PR1.2 wasn't that delayed for what I remember so hopefully should be any day now.