Active Topics

Notices

An update on the status of Stockona.. for the last month or so, I worked on Meego Harmattan version only. The good news is that Harmattan version is now available in Nokia Store, and I believe I have eliminated many of the bugs with local portfolio creation.

The bad news is.... well, since I re-worked the UI with Qt components and re-wrote some of the codes, Maemo 5 and Harmattan no longer use the same code base. I am inclined not to merge the changes back to Maemo 5, since there might be Qt component support for Maemo 5 in the near future. I guess I will wait and see how the Qt component support goes, if it's not working well I will do backport at some point in the future.

When I get to the detail page of a stock and tryto plot the graph. nothing has shown but leave a blank area. Is there any cure for it? Thanks in adv.

Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
When I get to the detail page of a stock and tryto plot the graph. nothing has shown but leave a blank area. Is there any cure for it? Thanks in adv.
Does it happen to all symbols in your portfolio, or only to some of them? I am thinking it's the latter, so if you can give me a few symbols to debug that would help me pinpoint what went wrong.

Also, are the symbols you are having problems with non-US stocks? If so, it's likely due to the symbol format is not converted correctly to Yahoo's format.

All of them have the same problem and I am talkijng about HK stocks. It is not the symbol that have problem but I cannot plot time graphs of the stocks. Pls. help thx.

Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
All of them have the same problem and I am talkijng about HK stocks. It is not the symbol that have problem but I cannot plot time graphs of the stocks. Pls. help thx.
I tried this symbol 0386:HKG (SINOPEC) and I could see the graph/chart. Could you add this symbol to your portfolio and see if the graph is displayed correctly on your device?

Good news!

I have backported the changes from Harmattan to Maemo5 to keep their codes more in sync. The major changes are:

1) Local portfolio is working much better than before. Also now you have to press the store (v) button to save any change you made. But delete action is still immediate in Maemo 5 version. (In Harmattan, a dialog will ask you to confirm the deletion.)
2) Multi-threaded for Google Portfolio, which means less chance of UI blocking. (Local portfolio still uses single-thread code.)
3) Small UI tweaks. One of them is utilizing the header bar to display the view information, e.g. in related-news for GOOG it will display "GOOG News."
4) I also finally specified the dependency on QtQuick namespace package.

The release has been submitted to extras-devel, but I will publish it to Ovi Store too later.

Last edited by sony123; 2011-09-10 at 18:26.

I'm glad to see Meego Coding Competition 2011 voting finally goes live. If you like Stockona, I would appreciate you take the time and vote for it.

Now, a few status updates for Maemo 5. First of all, my N900 is dead . I dropped it on the ground and the eMMC went dead. There have been several updates to Harmattan version, e.g. less resource-demanding position update, option to bypass google login, etc. I am still developing some new features for Harmattan, but I hope I will backport some of the changes to Maemo 5 maybe late this year/early next year.

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Thanks to all for your voting. Stockona didn't win anything but it's your support/feedback that makes the app what it is today

A quick note to users (using harmattan devices).....

Google now also provides currency info, but somehow Google doesn't let users add currency symbol into a Google portfolio for tracking. Stockona+ has Market Overview to show the currency info, but currently the currencies covered are limited.

I just found out it is possible add currencies into a local portfolio so you can add currency rates that you are interested in. Here's the how-to:

1. When creating a symbol, type in the currency symbol you're interested in, e.g. USDCNY.
(Unfortunately you cannot rely on the search button to help you find the symbol name since Google Finance's search doesn't search into currencies...)
2. Type 'Currency' in the exchange field.

There you go now you can track any currency rate that Google provides!

Last edited by sony123; 2012-03-25 at 09:12.

Around the time I started developing Stockona, Google deprecated Finance API. Now one year later, Google has announced that they are discontinuing Finance API in Oct this year. It's a pity because I just have the symbian version ready and also added sync-to-google feature...

The known impact is, Stockona will lose the ability to fetch/update your Google portfolio after Oct 20. Otherwise, (I hope) the app will still be usable.

My current plan is to:
1) Relying on Google Drive as the cloud storage... but honestly, I don't want to touch Google API again.
2) Create Google Finance-compatible import/export files so users can sync portfolios manually. Possibly use the sharing framework for easier transfer.

Last edited by sony123; 2012-04-26 at 07:10.