Active Topics

Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
Yeah, Steve Jobs is the defender of openness, that's why he wants to make a proprietary video codec the standard for HTML5.
I was about to mention earlier that he's wrong about other things (a great many things) but you brought him up in a topic on something he's right about.

If there is a website you want to access that uses Flash and you don't have it, it's your own fault you own a device that doesn't support it.
I blame Adobe because the software is proprietary and no one can support the device but Adobe. We could trivially have Flash 10.1 due to how similar maemo/meego are to desktop Linux systems but due to mobile devices being "special," Adobe refuse to move on it.

That's like buying a media player that plays every known audio format but cannot play MP3.
And yes MP3 is very outdated, I prefer other formats.
You can at least get open source mp3 and aac decoders. Last I checked the closest open source equivalent to adobe flash player was Gnash, and it can't do a huge number of things that Flash can.

I suppose it's back to mailing websites and asking them to support web standards instead of focusing on proprietary products. Hello 2002, welcome back.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
I was about to mention earlier that he's wrong about other things (a great many things) but you brought him up in a topic on something he's right about.

I blame Adobe because the software is proprietary and no one can support the device but Adobe. We could trivially have Flash 10.1 due to how similar maemo/meego are to desktop Linux systems but due to mobile devices being "special," Adobe refuse to move on it.

You can at least get open source mp3 and aac decoders. Last I checked the closest open source equivalent to adobe flash player was Gnash, and it can't do a huge number of things that Flash can.

I suppose it's back to mailing websites and asking them to support web standards instead of focusing on proprietary products. Hello 2002, welcome back.
So you believe we never got Flash 10 on the N900 by Adobe's fault? Or even TI? Only Nokia is to blame here.
The big thing about Flash 10.x is that is GPU accelerated, so the device/OS maker (Nokia) and the GPU maker (TI) have to make it work just like with H264. Whoever develops a video codec is not magically able to test and support all hardware variations out there.

There are lots of other free and paid programs that export to SWF / FLV and AIR. Get on with the times.

Do you have any new deadlines defined now that Nokia is more actively involved?
For example, IF the new device will be released in 2011 and it's sometime in october/november (my reasoning being that both the N900 and N8 where released on that timeframe, probably to catch some of that holiday market) and it will have the final Meego version.
Then should we be seeing early summer or late spring for the developer version? Not much sense in getting the developer version after a full featured product has shipped. No need to hone anything on it then. Just get the new one (or Nokia may give it away is it does with the E7 and WP7 phones).

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
From hardware adaptation, not UI:

1) Already works, I saw an awesome demo - front camera ("webcam") still in progress, but the big camera is the one of actual use.
2) Already works
3) Already works
4) Already works
5) Works for non-AGPS but still in labs due to us needing legal approval to redistributable bits. Who'd want to use Ovi Maps?
6) Works
7) Works (but we don't have a switcher dialog in UI)
8) Works
9) Works
I really much appreciate that you comment here, but after seeing n+1 threads where people do not understand what they read (or actually do not read thread at all where they post comments randomly) I have to underline this for users around here.

"From hardware adaptation, not UI"

Probably some people here do not even understand what that means :|

But great work! And after all most of stuff what we ask here can be checked from meego wiki.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
As I understand it:

The "hardware adaption" team (lead by stskeeps) are writing backend stuff (e.g. GPS hardware, ability to SMS and make phone calls). Also developing *standard "Meego" UI.

The "Developer Edition" team (lead by Nokia) are writing addiitional UI components to integrate with *standard "Meego" UI and possibly proprietory components too? (e.g. NOT Flash but mapping software).

Can I assume the "Developer Edition" is not a completely new UI stack atop of N900 Meego? If that's the case then "duplication" of standard "Meego" UI is pretty stupid. I hope it is in addition to standard "Meego" UI and developing "Nokia" UI components.

I'm not quite sure what the "boundaries" of the two projects are.

*I mean the Meego UI for "handsets".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
As I understand it:

The "hardware adaption" team (lead by stskeeps) are writing backend stuff (e.g. GPS hardware, ability to SMS and make phone calls). Also developing *standard "Meego" UI.

The "Developer Edition" team (lead by Nokia) are writing addiitional UI components to integrate with *standard "Meego" UI and possibly proprietory components too? (e.g. NOT Flash but mapping software).

Can I assume the "Developer Edition" is not a completely new UI stack atop of N900 Meego? If that's the case then "duplication" of standard "Meego" UI is pretty stupid. I hope it is in addition to standard "Meego" UI and developing "Nokia" UI components.

I'm not quite sure what the "boundaries" of the two projects are.

*I mean the Meego UI for "handsets".
"Hardware adaptation" delivers the backend that makes the MeeGo.com platform work properly on N900. IE, drivers, kernels and other boring stuff.

Intel works on MeeGo Handset UX with the intent only of delivering a reference UX for others to finish and built upon. We've (HW adaptation) here and there helped with some contributions on UI side when needed to speed some things up, but it's not our real duty to even touch UI side.

DE takes HW adaptation + MeeGo.com Core + MeeGo.com Handset UX and takes it and makes it usable for daily usage for developers/extreme power users, contributing UI changes back to MeeGo.com Handset UX. DE publishes a "MeeGo.com-based" "product", ie, the DE.

They start with simple but needed basic use cases. http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/HE#Use_cases lists those. The idea is to make them work solidly, well and usable on a daily basis.

Long story short: Make Handset UX not "suck" and be able to use it for those use cases without wanting to throw it out from 6th floor like a Neo Freerunner.

Can it evolve beyond the basic use cases over time? Yes, but let's get the basic stuff working first and well. As an example, I could care less about DLNA working when my phonecalls don't
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
@Stskeeps, really appreciate that you are willing to share detailed information regarding the (hw) adoptation for the N900. There is one thing I'd like to ask and that is..

When you now something exciting is about to happen, e.g. an expected release date of software for instance, would you be willing to share that information with this community as well?

I am asking this because most N900 users are eager to hear about the progress of their Maemo replacement/alternative (in the long run). You probably know that we have been let in the cold for a couple of times, but adaptation teams like yours make us look forward to the N900 future!

Originally Posted by blipnl View Post
@Stskeeps, really appreciate that you are willing to share detailed information regarding the (hw) adoptation for the N900. There is one thing I'd like to ask and that is..

When you now something exciting is about to happen, e.g. an expected release date of software for instance, would you be willing to share that information with this community as well?
We have weekly status meetings and publish minutes from this on meego-dev@ mailing list each time. We conduct our business in the open, on #meego-arm (as will the DE people) and our release schedule follows http://wiki.meego.com/Release_Engineering/Plans/1.2
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Also, keep in mind that contributions are very welcome. The DE project is intended to run in the open. Even implementing simple control panels for simple N900 specific things (TV out control as an example) in QML + PySide would be very valuable.

To add to the fun mix, it seems like the idea is to mix Intel Tablet UX + Handset UX (replacing some of the bad apps in Handset) So we'll get Intel's QML components too which should make things a lot easier.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
I appreciate all the work being done for this, and if any donations are needed I'd be more than happy as this is something I'd like to see come to life rather than abandoned

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:

Tags
best thread yet, meegohorny, nokia rox, stupid guys say, we want bada