Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
I am sorry and i am pretty certain that this have been covered before. However.. i could not find anything that made me able to chose a program to startup on a key combination (i.e. ctrl+j).

Is there something that would make me be able to do this?

I saw Matans customized hildon-desktop but isn't there any other way to it?

I have found an app launcher (like gnome-do and kupfer) called Alawalk that only using bash, zenity and gmessage to do it's tasks. Thus is very small and have almost none dependencies. I only needed to edit the install script a little to make it work on maemo.

Does someone have a clue about this?

Basically i just want to edit a document file somewhere to allow this...

***bump***

Impossible.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Something in the device must be handling Ctrl+Shift+X to open a Terminal and Ctrl+Shift+P to take a screenshot... Is that not an open-source component?

The program that handles those shortcuts is hildon-desktop, which is free software. I changed it to support more (and configurable) shortcuts, and released the result as modified-hildon-desktop. But the question is specific about having configurable shortcuts without replacing hildon-desktop.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Ah sorry, I missed the "I saw Matans customized hildon-desktop but isn't there any other way to it?" line in the OP.

There are actually other ways to implement global shortcuts, one of them being xbindkeys, but they all require installing additional programs. The default maemo install has no support for global keyboard shortcuts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Thanks Matan! Then i'll change to your hildon-desktop

For anyone still looking to accomplish this without using modified-hildon-desktop (especially now with CSSU), I took Matan's advice on using xbindkeys & created a how-to here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83643