Notices

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Kung Foo View Post
Working with CacheMe as a baseline is not a valid option either since it is not open source and you are violating the rights of its owner. I've asked Till to update the licence of CacheMe QML port to be open source but he has not replied to me yet. He says only the plugins are under GPL and the main program "does not have a licence".
I think there might be a misunderstanding about CacheMe.
CacheMe is open source, since its code is published under http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...heme/0.8.10-1/ as well as on other places linked on http://www.harbaum.org/till/cacheme/. And there he now recently also published the code of the QML version.

I agree that he seemed not state which licence he uses, how ever the last days I was in contact with Till and he said its ok to publish my Harmattan port on my website.

Also we do have our own design goals that do not match CacheMe's design. So I suggest we continue chatting about how to join forces. Anyone who knows how to code & cache is welcome at this point to join us.
Its great that you want to invest your time for a new app.
How ever if I look into the open source world, I see that many project fail since everybody wants to write his own app instead of working together on the same project. For me ATM I dont have the time to invest a lot of time. Because of that I decided to modify the existing QT CacheMe to get it a "bit more" usable on Harmattan. As I figured out its actually much easier than expected to make it look nice it with QT stylesheets.

Just for your understanding:
I am the author of SleepAnalyser, a Python/QT app.
I invested quite some time to port it to QML. How ever I realised that it costs a lot of time and I am currently not willing to invest that much time for that.
And as I now realised that QT applications actually can be modified to look Harmattan-ish, I might also try and go this way.
IMHO its better to have an ugly but working application than nothing at all!
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

The Following User Says Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Finland
I'm still open for the idea of using at least parts of the CacheMe QML port if it just is possible license-wise. I invited Till to join our discussion. I surely hope he'll clarify things for us here for the record.

Still part of the project is to learn by doing (as much as I have time to invest in this) so I do see your point that doing everything from scratch might not produce viable results for the community.

But let's see what Till has to say first.

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Hi,

the issue is that i have started to sell the symbian version via the OVI store. Putting all the code developed so far under the GPL would allow anyone to upload a free version to OVI as well which i wouldn't like for obvious reasons.

On the other hand i definitely have no plans to make any money with the harmattan or maemo5 versions.

That's the reason why the main binary is not under GPL (the plugins on the other hand are under GPL).

Perhaps you have an idea how to deal with this.

Hi all

I just packed a new version of my Harmattan port of CacheMe.

Changelogs:
Code:
cacheme (0.8.10-1-Harmattan6) unstable; urgency=low

Changes:
   * Settings dialog is now fully functional on a N9
   * Improved look & Feel of many windows
   * Limited shown caches to 200 to avoid hanging of application
   * Splash screen now really working
The settings dialog now works fully under the N9.
Also all other functions (except the button & Combobox in the Navigationwindow) are working nicely.
In general it looks already very like a native Harmattan application.

Please test it and let me know what you think about it!

Download: www.ruinelli.ch/download

Below some screenshots for illustration.
Attached Images

CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

The Following User Says Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
the issue is that i have started to sell the symbian version via the OVI store. Putting all the code developed so far under the GPL would allow anyone to upload a free version to OVI as well which i wouldn't like for obvious reasons.
I completely understand your decision. There is no reason for you to change your plans.

Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
On the other hand i definitely have no plans to make any money with the harmattan or maemo5 versions.

That's the reason why the main binary is not under GPL (the plugins on the other hand are under GPL).

Perhaps you have an idea how to deal with this.
Maybe it is possible to use a licence which only allows the code to be used on certain platforms, i.e. Maemo5, Harmattan and MeeGo?

Since you already had published the code of the Maemo5 and now also the QML version, I thought its open source. I also thought its under the GPL, but have to admit I never checked it.

If it still ok for you, I would like to officially publish my port on my website and also to try to bring it into the OVI store for free or a small fee. How ever I wouldn't want to get all the money since you did the big part of the work!
In any way, It would be great if you could add a link onto your CacheMe page to my port once it is completed.
and more...

An off topic question:
Is anybody able to log into https://www.geocaching.com/login/ with the built in N9/N950 browser?
It works fine for me with fennec, but the built in browser seems to fail without any notification
and more...

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Finland
Big thanks to caco3 for the N9 port!

The link was mentioned on geocache.fi forum and I tried it immediately.

It works as it should - at least here in the office, no real test yet.

One improvement idea: if user could type own coordinates in navigation screen - or change the current ones, that could be used when searching some mystery/multi caches with different coordinates than given in the description.

I have had no problem with N9 built-in browser and gc.com.

The Following User Says Thank You to ranto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Helsinki
Using AGTL as a base is really not an option since IMHO only using the real native tools (this time Qt & QML) is the valid if you want a real application instead of just some demo (I've actually never used AGTL though, so I won't say anything about that).
Hi. I think you might be interested in at least taking a look at AGTL - it already has Qt UI for it included, which would then need converting to QML.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to have more options either

Originally Posted by ranto View Post
One improvement idea: if user could type own coordinates in navigation screen - or change the current ones, that could be used when searching some mystery/multi caches with different coordinates than given in the description
This functionality is already built into CachMe, but not yet accessable through the N9 as you cant open the combobox in the NavigationWindow

Originally Posted by ranto View Post
I have had no problem with N9 built-in browser and gc.com.
Thats very strange. I just tired again to log into http://www.geocaching.com, but the login window disappears without logging me in or showing an error.
When I open https://www.geocaching.com, it doesnt even load completely, it hangs at about 80%
This happens with 3G as well as on Wifi.
Has anybody any explanations/solutions?

Using AGTL as a base is really not an option since IMHO only using the real native tools (this time Qt & QML) is the valid if you want a real application instead of just some demo.
By now I should have proven that it is possible to create a Harmatan looking Qt application which is even usable.
Beside of that, what do you mean with "real native tools (this time Qt & QML)"? Both, AGTL as well as CacheMe, are build on Qt.
and more...

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Finland
You are right: www.geocaching.com hangs with N9 built-in browser - I have not just used that page at all.

www.geocaching.com/login and any other pages are working well and I have no problems with login.