Poll: Would You miss the Council if it was gone?
Poll Options
Would You miss the Council if it was gone?

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
You may or may not know that the "Maemo Community" have a "Council" that has as its tag line:

"The Maemo Community Council is a five-person body chosen by the Maemo community. The Council's mission is to "represent the Maemo community's best interests to Nokia, and to act as a community conduit for Nokia-generated information."

Link: http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council

I've been pretty open about how ineffective and impotent I find this structure to be (horrible project management, even worse communication, ineffective in most (all?) issues it takes on, questionable how issues are being prioritized and how they 'get resolved', etc).

The current state of the forum (mis-managed moderation, poor communication in it about what is actually being worked on between Council and Nokia (if anything), etc) have at least for me re-ignited this question: Who would miss the Council if they were gone?

Now, I don't want this to be a discussion about how I feel about this but rather I am simply curious if I am the only one here who feels this way. And IF I am, I can promise you I will never air these feelings again...
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-08-11 at 01:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
which council??

what have they done so far?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m0da For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Now before we go into an open state of rebellion here, I think there are some things we need to know.

I for one, am curious about the Council's plan to deal with the end of Maemo and the transition to Meego.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mmurfin87 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
"The Maemo Community Council is a five-person body chosen by the Maemo community. The Council's mission is to "represent the Maemo community's best interests to Nokia, and to act as a community conduit for Nokia-generated information."
If they Exist.....the answer's a HELL NOO.

And If they don exist.....Beep Nokia.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but with nokia, there's no right or wrong, only idiot marketing. To think that I thought the HTC EVO would give nokia a kick in the head, but their head's apparently to thick and hollow to feel the pain.

The n900 remains the best device they have and still they show absolutely no support for it what so ever; And the n8 pales in comparison to the current phones of today.

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
seriously, if you didnt tell me, i wouldnt know there was a council in the first place.
now that there is one, its either the council, that never contacted nokia, or nokia that completely ignored the council.

as far as i'm concerned: i couldnt care less. i dont believe that nokia cares about anything else than making every maemo-user buy the first meego-device for 600 euros before it drops to 400 euros 1 month after release. i hope the community takes care about the n900 like nokia should and make me keep my n900, because i planned on using this device for a long time.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Council here is like British Queen in Canada. She exists but no one listens to her and she doesn't have power . The simple fact that Nokia ignored their open letter to support Python as a programming language is a vivid example

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Right.

We're to blame for Nokia's inaction.

I'm astounded at the comments of some (not silvermountain's-- I've come to expect his baseless, pointless bashing).

You folks can slam us all you like for failures. It's just rather inane at this point.

The current five ran knowing well we were entering into a likely lame duck situation. None of us were naive. We saw the Maemo sunset like anyone else. We just wanted to do our damndest, to at least TRY-- rather than simply squatting at a keyboard typing out epithets, gripes and invalid assessments of anyone's efforts.

You can slam us for failure. Go ahead. But the evidence of council action are right here, right under the Community banner. Right in the emails and blogs and websites devoted to this community.

Absence of success is not absence of effort. It just indicates that we've been pushing rope. But that's not by design-- it's a consequence. Of corporate inertia.

I expect people to understand the difference. Asking too much?

It's easy to slam the volunteers at this point. We answer. Nokia doesn't.

So sure, lash out, Rant away. Whatever makes you feel better, silvermountain and company.

EDIT: I apologize for the emotional tone of this post. I should have let the thread sit overnight before responding. I also apologize to the other 4 council members for purporting to speak for them with regards to the last election. I also want to make it clear that the "lame duck" phrase was used in expediency and referred to the possibility of that occurring due to the introduction of MeeGo. It in no way reflects the hope I had when I ran, ie, that we could mitigate or even prevent such an occurrence.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-08-12 at 21:21.

The Following 88 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
77h, aanckar, aboaboit, alephito, amh, anidel, antoarts, bunanson, cfh11, ChadiM, cjp, clasificado, codeMonkey, cyapalmos, danramos, daperl, efekt, Ehamloptiran, EIPI, esiravegna, evad, Fargus, fieryriver, fnordianslip, frals, gazza_d, GeneralAntilles, giladmttw, gobuki, gs1, ian_ryge, ingvay7, inidrog, ivgalvez, jacktanner, Jaco2k, jjx, joerg_rw, John McClane, johnel, jukey, leojab, Magik, magnunor, maguitodelrock, Maj3stic, maluka, Mandor, Mara, Marshall Banana, mdb666, mikecomputing, mmlado, moepda, Netweaver, nick.read, nubsis, OVK, pantera1989, parasight, Patola, rambo, Rauha, sbock, skalogre, slender, smoku, Sphinx780, Stskeeps, sunwong, synca, thecubed, tlex26, tom047, tswindell, twaelti, un-named_user, uvatbc, v13, Venemo, vkv.raju, w00t, Wanker, wmarone, wolverine, woody14619, yerga
........ really, people?

........ I should just leave this thread alone.

pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Right.

We're to blame for Nokia's inaction.

I'm astounded at the comments of some (not silvermountain's-- I've come to expect his baseless, pointless bashing).

You folks can slam us all you like for failures. It's just rather inane at this point.

The current five ran knowing well we were entering into a likely lame duck situation. None of us were naive. We saw the Maemo sunset like anyone else. We just wanted to do our damndest, to at least TRY-- rather than simply squatting at a keyboard typing out epithets, gripes and invalid assessments of anyone's efforts.

You can slam us for failure. Go ahead. But the evidence of council action are right here, right under the Community banner. Right in the emails and blogs and websites devoted to this community.

Absence of success is not absence of effort. It just indicates that we've been pushing rope. But that's not by design-- it's a consequence. Of corporate inertia.

So sure, lash out, Rant away. Whatever makes you feel better, silvermountain and company.
I have a deep personal respect for you, Texrat. I also respect the Council and what they have accomplished. I think most of us understand that really its Nokia that is to fault for practically everything. I'm quite sure that the talented group of individuals in this community could have accomplished lightyears more beyond the great things we've already seen if Nokia had been more open and really let developers and end users have at the guts of Maemo and all the closed source packages.

That said, I have to admit that there is a marked difference between the potential that existed and many people recognized, and the way things actually progressed and the experiences many of us have had.

Off Topic:
On a personal note, I really really really blame Symbian for all of the woes of Maemo and its community. If that ****ing piece of useless **** and its *******ness ... (insert reams of expletives for dramatic and vulgar emphasis) ... had been killed in 2008 (at the latest!!!), we and Nokia would be sitting in a MUCH different position.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mmurfin87 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London

Just relax. Seems like scapegoating from where I am standing. Nokia have stonewalled us. And its much more fun to play with passionate people.

Closed Thread

Tags
community, council, maemo.org