Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
I have the Maemo 5 SDK installed on a laptop running Ubuntu. All was running smoothly, but I foolishly upgraded to the most recent version of Ubuntu. Now my Maemo 5 SDK no longer works properly. The scratchbox environment seems fine, xephyr works and I can run the desktop stuff within scratchbox. But lots of the Hildon widget set no longer works properly. Pulldown menus don't show their contents. Mouse clicks in scrollable windows are ignored. Check boxes don't update, etc. Does anyone know how to fix these issues? I'd be happy to reinstall an old version of Ubuntu to fix the problem - does anyone know of an Ubuntu version with which the Maemo 5 SDK is fully compatible?

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
I use Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS and don't upgrade just
to preserve my scratchbox environment.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
I used to use Debian but I switched to Extix based on ubuntu 12.04 with updated kernel, proprietary Nvidia driver and both Gnome and QT based desktop. I'm very happy with it except configuring the Nvidia driver (need to follow the directions on the internet).

The Following User Says Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
@ aironeous

Do you have the maemo 5 SDK working on 12.04 ?
Thanks in advance

./sifo
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Although not the optimal solution, I run the SDK under a virtual machine. It may seem dumb to emulate Linux (SDK) under Linux (Ubuntu 12.04), but at least it keeps both environments isolated from each other.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
This is EXACTLY the reason why ALL my dev environments are virtual machines, whatever happens to my main OS doesn't matter as long as VMware is installable.

The Following User Says Thank You to rash.m2k For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
I just wanted to post how this problem was resolved, in case anyone else runs into it. I'm doing my Maemo development on a ~4 year old Sony Vaio (model pcg-5g3l). All was working well until I foolishly upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. At that point Hildon widgets in my scratchbox Maemo 5 SDK stopped working properly. I re-installed an earlier version of Ubuntu, but that did not fix the problem. Anyway, I finally took reinob's advice (sorta), and set up a virtual machine to house the SDK. I used VirtualBox to build the virtual machine, and installed plain-vanilla Debian Linux as the guest OS. I then re-installed the Maemo 5 SDK within the guest OS VM. That fixed the problem; the Hildon widgets work properly within the guest OS even though they are still broken on the host OS. The Debian version I'm using as the guest OS is 6.0.5-i386.

Thanks again to the folks who made the helpful suggestions above.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post: