Hello, I decided to register at Maemo developers web-site as a last resort measure

Briefly, I have been a Nokia customer for more than 8 years with my recent phone N900 bought right after its release in Russia in January 2010.
I have never experienced any problems with this phone until recently, when I went to the USA and switched on this phone - the touch screen immediately stopped working. Upon my return to Moscow, I called Nokia hot line, applied to local Moscow repair & maintenance centers (authorised by Nokia), however, the response that I got was that the problem is not about the touch screen, but about the operating system and they cannot do anything about it to return the phone to a normal working mode.

The problem is that I have lost all the data - the address book, messages, notes, photos, everything. I have never made back ups for my Nokia phones.

Can you please advise if there is at least a little chance to retrieve the data from the phone and if yes, how can it be done?
Would be grateful for any response.

Best regards,
Elena

P.S. I am located in Moscow, you can reach me either via my e-mail (elena_pash@bk.ru) or at my cell: + 7 903 961 20 94 (may be someone is based in Moscow as well?)

If they said problem is OS simple reflash of rootfs should do (assuming your data is in /opt and ~/MyDocs). If this doesn't restore touchscreen functionality then you were lied to and it is HW issue. If you maybe installed sshd you should be able to access your phone remotely if it autoconnects to your home wlan, touchscreen issue shouldn't interfere with that. It might be possible to get rootfs img from someone with BackupMenu so set up that after flashing you can access your phone by BM (no touchscreen needed for that) and then use USB to DL all data, not sure how likely this is though

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
thank you for a reply, all this sounds sensible, however, since i am an ordinary user, i doubt that i will be able to handle this on my own. Do you probably have any contacts in Moscow who I could connect?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Threads merged. Elena P, do not open multiple threads for the same topic.

ok, sorry, noted

http://meegos.ru/blog/ - might have some people in Moscow
There was a thread recently by russian-only speaker and he got some answers (seems deleted now? not sure), got some replies so hopefully some native-russians are part of this community.
Alternatively, if you know such things as what operating system runs on your desktop we can provide step-by-step instructions (also might be needed: how to download/unpack an archive)

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ jodhpur
reflash using flasher. Flashing new emmc will delete all your data.
There is a step by step guide for flashing.

Last edited by rpjitendra; 2012-10-07 at 17:15.

http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/Backu...1-20101109.img
Here is a flashable rootfs image with BackupMenu installed. Should keep all your data safe. If you can't find any maemo user in Moscow, let us know. I'm sure we can get you step-by-step through all of the way to save your data

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
ok, thanks, I just started searching for a Maemo programmer in Moscow, if not lucky, I will contact you again, thank you

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Why not seek help in forum.allnokia.ru