Tried on my N770 with OS2008, and after entering pb
the program ran for a while then xterm responded "ESC key pressed"
typed [B][U]
770 crashed.
Bricked, starts to boot, then crashes.

pb beautifully works. The only issue was that I had to run mkswap separately out of the pb tool to make the swap partition ready.
- When running pb for the first time after boot, I got an error "sh: 1542: unknown operand" before the menu appears when pb starts.
- Well, the line number changes. Other times, I got 1473 and 1480.
- Once a new partition is created, pb asks to format it. After the format, however, the partition is not recognized, and I had to run Scan menu separately to make the partition usable in the tool.

Strangely, boot menu timeout doesn't work. Isn't it the time the boot menu waits user input for the selection of the partition to boot until it "automatically" boots from the default boot partition if there is no user input? I have waited just so long like several minutes and nothing happens...
- I had to use initfs_flash separately to make the timeout work.

Bye the way, when making a tarball backup, why can't a partition other than ext2/3 be chosen to store the tarball? It looks when restoring, it is possible to read from a tarball in a vfat partition.
- I read previous posts and find out write to vfat is not supported yet.

One question I have is, is it Ok to put the swap partition on the same card to boot from? I have N810, and since I wanted to leave the internal mmc as it is, I put both the boot partition and the swap partition on the external card. I think this will have a bit of performance loss, but other than that, is it free from any potential problems?

By the way, thank you very much for such an excellent tool! I'm not a Linux expert at all, but this tool made a complex technical task a breeze.

Last edited by sun4384; 2010-01-19 at 07:47.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by sun4384 View Post
pb beautifully works. The only issue was that I had to run mkswap separately out of the pb tool to make the swap partition ready.
- When running pb for the first time after boot, I got an error "sh: 1542: unknown operand" before the menu appears when pb starts.
- Well, the line number changes. Other times, I got 1473 and 1480.
- Once a new partition is created, pb asks to format it. After the format, however, the partition is not recognized, and I had to run Scan menu separately to make the partition usable in the tool.

Strangely, boot menu timeout doesn't work. Isn't it the time the boot menu waits user input for the selection of the partition to boot until it "automatically" boots from the default boot partition if there is no user input? I have waited just so long like several minutes and nothing happens...
- I had to use initfs_flash separately to make the timeout work.

Bye the way, when making a tarball backup, why can't a partition other than ext2/3 be chosen to store the tarball? It looks when restoring, it is possible to read from a tarball in a vfat partition.
- I read previous posts and find out write to vfat is not supported yet.

One question I have is, is it Ok to put the swap partition on the same card to boot from? I have N810, and since I wanted to leave the internal mmc as it is, I put both the boot partition and the swap partition on the external card. I think this will have a bit of performance loss, but other than that, is it free from any potential problems?

By the way, thank you very much for such an excellent tool! I'm not a Linux expert at all, but this tool made a complex technical task a breeze.
Yes, a few bugs that never got fixed.

You can put swap on same, but I believe it would be better performance to put on another card if available.

No other issues with doing that.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by saabnut View Post
Tried on my N770 with OS2008, and after entering pb
the program ran for a while then xterm responded "ESC key pressed"
typed [B][U]
770 crashed.
Bricked, starts to boot, then crashes.
Did you fix this? You should have been able to just reflash the initfs to recover. I have never attempted to use this tool on a n770, as I no longer own one.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
@ Penguinbait

Hi,
why aren't your excellent Console Tools
mentioned in the wiki on cloning to a flash card ?

I think they should be !

Questions on that wiki are common, and advice to use Console Tools in usually appreciated !

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Denmark
I ran into some problems with backing up to a ext2 or ext3 partition and decided to uninstall console-tools. I then cleaned up the directory in /root/ where some files were stored.

Now, when I reboot the device, I still get Linus Torvalds talking to me. Where is that file and what is playing it?

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Klimt View Post
I ran into some problems with backing up to a ext2 or ext3 partition and decided to uninstall console-tools. I then cleaned up the directory in /root/ where some files were stored.

Now, when I reboot the device, I still get Linus Torvalds talking to me. Where is that file and what is playing it?
Does this help?

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=136

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Denmark
No, unfortunately. I found that post earlier, but Penguinbait doesn't address the other poster's question on where the wave file is located. I'd also be curious to know what program was playing the wave file after console-tools was removed. It doesn't appear to replace the Nokia startup sound, so one has to wonder.

Originally Posted by Klimt View Post
No, unfortunately. I found that post earlier, but Penguinbait doesn't address the other poster's question on where the wave file is located. I'd also be curious to know what program was playing the wave file after console-tools was removed. It doesn't appear to replace the Nokia startup sound, so one has to wonder.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=188700&postcount=8

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA

Are there any dependencies in console-tools that would get broken by the "new" community SSU?

Same question: re: telescope.

I re-flashed my N800 a couple of weeks ago (to clean out the crud) After getting a large portion of my apps etc installed (including the above) I went to use console-tools to clone to my internal SD. PBeasy partitioned the SD (1GB) w/o a hitch. After the reboot the Clone process from PBeasy got to the "cloning" progress bar and then started reporting "invalid options" errors.

I have since re-flashed to the base OS (47-3 ?) and prior to installing anything, I successfully cloned and booted to the SD...

Now to re-install my apps....

Thank You

Snoshrk

[update] Success

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Last edited by Snoshrk; 2010-05-29 at 14:20. Reason: cloned - success!

Tags
bootmenu, bootmenu-installer, install-tools, mgmt-tools