Active Topics

that means no mic. no VOIP, i dont know how one app. in maemo site showed tat voip works.
also the developers should make a VOICE RECOGNISTION software for n770, that would be cool

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I too vote for voice-recognition software and also for text-to-speech software.

But everything I've seen requires way more cpu and ram than the 770 currently has.

I anticipate a long wait for it.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by JPB
Keep looking in the whole... do you see an Alien ;-)
We need some mecenas that takes it apart ...]
I opened my Nokia because some tea was spilled over it and I wanted to be sure that no harm was done and indeed I saw a little microfone beside the DC connector .

After carefully checking the internals of the device I came to the conclusion that no harm was done to the electronics. Lucky me

it's not tea-proof ?

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Brussels
So now we have the answer on the first question: there is a mic !
That brings us to the next question: Did the tea turn you into a mecenas ? ;-)
Thanks !

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
FYI: The little microfone was the same type they commonly use in cellphones (what a surprise ).

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Brussels
This brings up more questions:
Actually I wonder how this is going to work?
There is no way that you are going to bring this devise to your face to talk and listen unless you like to attract attention ......

Assumption N°1:
You don't have a phone - you only have access to Wifi.
Then you use the headphones - browse on the net - talk from a 50cm distance - use VOIP. Is this feasible?
The contact App is missing - so you need to call from a kind of Skype with your contact list build into that app.

Assumption N°2:
You have a phone in your pocket and no Wifi.
You connect to the internet trough your phone using GPRS.
You use the same program as with Wifi.
But why not then making a software for the phone and call straight from the phone VOIP.
Of course Mobile operators are going to block this or charge extra. This is competition. But of course landline operators are moving also towards VOIP.
I pay 32 Euro/month flat fee for GPRS on top of other basic phone charges.

Assumption N°3.
You have phone with you and access to Wifi.
You use your phone bluetooth including the phone speaker and mic - Call VOIP and use the tablet to jump on the net.
But then you don't have hands enough..... ;-)

Assumption N° 4
You trash your phone - you always have Wifi ??????? - you use headphones and the build in Mic. (Interesting possibility for people that don't have a computer, but just get a Wifi at home and Hotspot network of the provider in the city)

I could go on with possibities using a bleutooth headset etc....
I am missing pieces in this puzzle..
The mic doesn't make any sense yet for making calls.
But then again why not keeping the thing in front of your mouth......
Any ideas ?

Just to confirm, the 770 does have a microphone (notice the @nokia.com e-mail address of the poster). I'm not aware of any end-user-ready apps that make use of the mic, though.

Well, since it apparently has a very good speaker, if the mic is half decent it could be used as a speaker-phone natively, or attach a headset for a private phone.

I'd be happy to have it with me at all times as a speaker phone for a quick call, or pull the usb/bt headset out for a longer or private call.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Providing it is a cell mic, you'd most likely hold it up to your head in the same ridiculous fashion as a full sized Blackberry.