Active Topics

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
So... is it time for harmattan-999-pr-thumb?
one word - aegis

I just checked some of the binaries from Harmattan with 'file' and you're right - the binaries are indeed compiled without Thumb support.

Maybe we should tell Jolla to build their binaries with Thumb on their devices?
Shall we? I'll contact and start contributing to Jolla/Sailfish after stskeeps (or anyone from the Meego DE team now working for Jolla) gives CSSU team access to the source code of the closed Fremantle bits they have backed-up on their home PCs. That way I'll have a free time to spend on Sailfish, instead of wasting over a month to RE 3000 lines of code (alarmui, tklock, powerkeymenu) just to be able to wipe someone's ***. Though I don't see that happening.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

Last edited by freemangordon; 2012-12-14 at 07:44.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Shall we? I'll contact and start contributing to Jolla/Sailfish after stskeeps (or anyone from the Meego DE team now working for Jolla) gives CSSU team access to the source code of the closed Fremantle bits they have backed-up on their home PCs.
I think we should tell the ex-Nokians that yes, we indeed want Thumb-compiled binaries!

(Oh, and I don't suppose the ex-Nokians would... unknowingly slip you a tar.gz with source for incredibly stupid bits such as dsme and the rest?)

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
Mer/Nemo has an experimental thumb build since last 2 or 3 public builds.
Right now it's only for the N9 builds, not for the N900 builds as the N900 HW adaptation kernel used in the Nemo image doesn't have the errata workarounds (yet).

They're looking at the community to supply the Thumb patches for the N900 HW Adapt. kernel and then they'll happily provide a full N900 Thumb Mer/Nemo build too, as they're doing for N9.

So, the Mer (and also Jolla/Sailfish) guys are clearly going into the thumb direction

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Well, IIRC Pali's newest u-boot with bootmenu already integrates the Thumb fix needed by the OMAP3 (flipping bits in Secure Monitor).

Flipping the kconfig setting should be all that's needed, and then we could probably have, once again, armv7tnhl builds for the N900

Originally Posted by adunanzav3x View Post
In my opinion sailfish will can be run if will optimized for the N900 hardware
Jolla just have to ask Nokia, and if they get a yes they can optimise the whole system around the n900 for further development. Think a modern version of Nokia n900 made by Jolla, running sailfish perfectly in landscape and portrait mode, with a new screen and some updated hardware to go along with QT.

Perhaps Jolla should ask Nokia for the option of porting sailfish to Nokia n900.

An optimised version of sailfish could run better than Maemo on Nokia n900. X is a bad interface and sailfish use weyland (I think without calling X, just weyland and jolla render)

isnt the issue that the N900 drivers dont support Wayland so thats were it dies. Without sources pointless.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
one word - aegis

Shall we? I'll contact and start contributing to Jolla/Sailfish after stskeeps (or anyone from the Meego DE team now working for Jolla) gives CSSU team access to the source code of the closed Fremantle bits they have backed-up on their home PCs. That way I'll have a free time to spend on Sailfish, instead of wasting over a month to RE 3000 lines of code (alarmui, tklock, powerkeymenu) just to be able to wipe someone's ***. Though I don't see that happening.
Love this post. And although I am most certain nobody left an accidental backup of the Fremantle closed bits source code at home with him / her, there is no way telling those parts did not actually find their way to usenet or PB or something, accidentally packed into old versions of dev util x or driver pack y long time ago. They might even by pre PR 1.3 archeology but.. better than nothing?
Somebody just needs to drop an anonymous line when he stumbles on those parts.. accidentally of course.

But why count on MeegoDE team now at Jolla? They now have to earn their living through Sailfish success. Your progress on Fremantle is their potential competition making it "just business" all over again or am I seeing that wrong?

Are there no free and idealistic ex-employees laid off by Nokia that are now about finished admiring the genius modern corporate tactics such as deployed by Microsoft the monopoly machine in the taking ownership of the Nokia board, company to just flush their baby and job future down the drain who can step up?

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
isnt the issue that the N900 drivers dont support Wayland so thats were it dies. Without sources pointless.
Not really. Do you think the Jolla device is running with native Wayland drivers?

I would guess that nobody's ported Sailfish due to lack of interest.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2014-11-06 at 18:30.

There is a proof of concept N900 running on wayland. Done by stskeeps.
Also there is: https://github.com/niqt/NemomobileWa...hl-n900-rnd.ks

https://twitter.com/crazybulgarian/s...28851820679168

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post: