Active Topics

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
.................Its been proven time and time again that Samsung's cards are on a much higher level. Faster speeds, greater reliability, great price.

Bare that in mind, it'll be better for your long trip.
By the way, what did you have in mind for the big trip? How many countries?
Hello, as stated earlier in the thread, I have two 64GB and now a 128GB card. All of then are SanDisk and all of them work faultlessly on the N900. I formatted them on the 'phone. I have not tried Samsung cards so cannot comment but, someone posted earlier in the thread that they couldn't get theirs to work with the N900.....

If you REALLY want me to talk about my trip well, here goes:-

Leaving the UK via Eurostar to Europe then up by train to Stockholm. Then by ferry/train to St. Petersburg. Train To Moscow. Trans Siberian to Mongolia. Continue to Beijing. Train down into Vietnam. Bus from Hanoi to Vientiane (Laos). Bus from Vientiane to Chiang Mai. Bus from Chiang Mai to Pai (where we live part time). Spend a little time in Pai then train down to Bangkok & onward to Butterworth/Penang. Unfortunately, from here on we have to fly (to Manilla). Fly from Manilla to Vancouver. Buy a cheap van/car in either V/C or Seattle & drive down the west cost to San Francisco. Train from LA to New Orleans. Train from New Orleans to New York. Fly from New York back to UK (where we live part time). We are planning for side-trips in this journey. If anyone can offer suggestions, please do. We have some already planned. Thanks for putting up with my indulgence.

Last edited by macey; 2014-09-19 at 09:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
If you buy a cheap SD card, especially form an auction or discount site be wary. Often they will report 64gb or 128gb, they will even format, but you will get errors when you go over the real capacity, some are so tricky that they will start to write over the first data you had added so you need to do something like add many TV seasons to properly test the capacity.
Well, I paid £64 for mine from Amazon. Formatted it and have successfully loaded 100GB of music to it. Plays fine. Can't comment about speed because I only use it for music & it's fine for that. My other two cards (64GB) were used for the same and I had similar results from them.

The Following User Says Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by macey View Post
If you REALLY want me to talk about my trip well, here goes:-

Leaving the UK via Eurostar to Europe then up by train to Stockholm. Then by ferry/train to St. Petersburg. Train To Moscow. Trans Siberian to Mongolia. Continue to Beijing. Train down into Vietnam. Bus from Hanoi to Vientiane (Laos). Bus from Vientiane to Chiang Mai. Bus from Chiang Mai to Pai (where we live part time). Spend a little time in Pai then train down to Bangkok & onward to Butterworth/Penang. Unfortunately, from here on we have to fly (to Manilla). Fly from Manilla to Vancouver. Buy a cheap van/car in either V/C or Seattle & drive down the west cost to San Francisco. Train from LA to New Orleans. Train from New Orleans to New York. Fly from New York back to UK (where we live part time). We are planning for side-trips in this journey. If anyone can offer suggestions, please do. We have some already planned. Thanks for putting up with my indulgence.
Oh wow.
Can I ask how much its going to cost?
How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm in Australia, been to only a handful of countries: Singapore, Dubai, Turkey, Greek island, Hong Kong, China, S Korea, Japan.

I recommend going to HK, its a more "Modernized China" and the trip to the local mountain and beach are great for your partner. Japan is awesome top to bottom, but I didn't like Tokyo as much as I liked the rest of Japan.

I want to do an America trip. A lil bit of Canada, then see the country in a rented muscle car (Challenger?), maybe even Tijuana/some Mexico.

I also wanna do a Euro trip and do "country hopping" and when I get there maybe some "bar hopping" and "bed hopping" , jks. Not sure which countries but want to see some Holland, Germany, Spain, Italy, Sweden, and maybe UK. Talking bout the UK, is it worth going? What about beyond London such as to Ireland or Scotland... worth seeing?

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
...............Cloud Computing is going to look really attractive in 2 years time...............
Not for me it's not. I like to have full control of my own data. How many reports of we heard of cloud servers being hacked into? Even Apple can't get it right..... Ubuntu have dropped their cloud service. Why? Because people who really know about computers (most of them use linux) won't touch it with a barge pole.

Build your own 'cloud' with one of these:-
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalD...id=raspberrypi or, even better, one of these:-
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/produ...=G138745696275

You can do it for less than £100.
I have done just that and can stream media from my server (2TB storage) direct to my N900's. Auto backups etc, etc...

Will reply about my trip later...

Last edited by macey; 2014-09-19 at 15:26.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Oh wow.
Can I ask how much its going to cost?
How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm in Australia, been to only a handful of countries: Singapore, Dubai, Turkey, Greek island, Hong Kong, China, S Korea, Japan.

I recommend going to HK, its a more "Modernized China" and the trip to the local mountain and beach are great for your partner. Japan is awesome top to bottom, but I didn't like Tokyo as much as I liked the rest of Japan.

I want to do an America trip. A lil bit of Canada, then see the country in a rented muscle car (Challenger?), maybe even Tijuana/some Mexico.

I also wanna do a Euro trip and do "country hopping" and when I get there maybe some "bar hopping" and "bed hopping" , jks. Not sure which countries but want to see some Holland, Germany, Spain, Italy, Sweden, and maybe UK. Talking bout the UK, is it worth going? What about beyond London such as to Ireland or Scotland... worth seeing?
Quick reply...
As an avid reader of classics, I would find a lot of travel destinations interesting. But I have neither time nor energy to visit them, unless I have to. London? Ravens in the Tower. Bath (city). Scotland? Highlanders, Alan Breck Stewart. Italy? Venice, Bravo. Finland? Place where Nokia phones were made. Spain? Renewable energy. Germany? Jerome's bicycle tour through the Black Forest. Holland? William the Silent. America? Aptera... Canada? Newfoundland. Wolves and caribou. China? Segway. Panda. S Korea? Black bamboo. Dubai? Masdar. Greece? Corfu.
Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

.....Can I ask how much its going to cost?
How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?...
......Talking bout the UK, is it worth going? What about beyond London such as to Ireland or Scotland... worth seeing?
Cost will be around £10,000. I know, that's an awful lot of money but this is (another) trip of a lifetime & that's for two people..
I am 64 retired 7 years ago and been travelling ever since.

Thanks for the tips.

Regarding the UK, I am English & lived most of my life there. I would say yes, it's worth visiting. Beyond London, visit The Lake District & Scotland. The valley of Glencoe is beautiful. If you do get up to 'The Highlands' try to get over to one or more of the Islands, Skye for example. Ireland is well worth a visit also. So much to see, so little time.
See you on the road...

Last edited by macey; 2014-09-19 at 16:14.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
I can confirm that the Sandisk 128GB micro sdxc card that I recently bought from Amazon for $99.99 works with N900. I have bought several 128GB cards; this is the first one that actually works. I only wish it was a little cheaper ($75 maybe?), as my Samsung 64GB Evo card, which also works, costed only $30.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ch88xy For This Useful Post:
Talking bout the UK, is it worth going? What about beyond London such as to Ireland or Scotland... worth seeing?
As a Durham graduate, I am a bit biased but Bill Bryson once wrote:
Why, it's a perfect little city. If you have never been to Durham, go there at once. Take my car. It's wonderful

and, later in the same book:

"I unhesitatingly gave Durham my vote for best cathedral on planet Earth."

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ch88xy View Post
I can confirm that the Sandisk 128GB micro sdxc card that I recently bought from Amazon for $99.99 works with N900. I have bought several 128GB cards; this is the first one that actually works. I only wish it was a little cheaper ($75 maybe?), as my Samsung 64GB Evo card, which also works, costed only $30.

Thats because Sandisk (and recently Lexar) are the only manufacturers that have officially released 128gb microsdxc cards. any other brand is guaranteed to be fake (unless they make an official announcement).

I'm personally waiting for samsung to release 128gb micro cards because they make reliable cards.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lonk For This Useful Post:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to _David_ For This Useful Post: