Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
So many Smart+watches appears that we defiantly need a thread. Even if sony and samsung have their own clocks. This one is top notch so far according to me.

But I'm also a fan of crowed funding projects...So I'm going for a dev kit. Not that I like smart watches but why not try one.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...dalone-smartwa

Whats your thoughts? Are you going for one of the watches, which one?

Qualcomm Toq

If you have another smart watch favorite, please post it here so I can add it to this post.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-09-09 at 19:04.

Maybe you should have typed it as Smart-watch

The Following User Says Thank You to jessi3k3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
http://www.smar****chfor.com/

I like the idea of them but from what I have seen they just don't integrate into other devices well enough. Also many are bulky and too expensive for there functionality.

Nike one is worth a mention.

---Edit, mmm it seems the BWF kicks in

smart
watch
for
dot
com

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
[QUOTE=Dave999;1373156]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...dalone-smartwa

Hmm what do they say about the most important thing? oh yeah, thought so:
Standby Time: 100 hours / Talktime 240min.
With HW like that "talktime" means any time the device is doing something useful, hey, that's just 4 hours.
And as these things go, tat is a gross over-estimete. You will get runtime of 2 hours if you are lucky.

no thanks.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@juiceme, how big a battery can you reasonably fit in one of those things?
Of course it's just a gimmick, it's not meant to be useful.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
@juiceme, how big a battery can you reasonably fit in one of those things?
Of course it's just a gimmick, it's not meant to be useful.
Sure, but people like Dave get all over exited about new tech, not about usability.
Nothing wrong about that, new tech is shiny and nice to play with but still... I prefer a bit older and maybe more useful tech

Regarding smart_watches, I'd like one that communicates with my devices using some ultra-low-energy protocol, so that the teeny battery lasts at least few years.
I don't care about fancy displays either, some B&W low-energy type would be enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Regarding smart_watches, I'd like one that communicates with my devices using some ultra-low-energy protocol, so that the teeny battery lasts at least few years.
I don't care about fancy displays either, some B&W low-energy type would be enough.
Hmm... Low energy, battery lasts for years, low-res B&W display, communicating with other devices using your ultra-low-energy fingers... You have just described a 1980s digital watch

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I think they need to improve on the AOLED/SAMOLED side.

Need a display with:
- low resolution
- low density
- low colour count
- slow refresh rate
- low low power drain
- high viewing angles
- high brightness/sun readability
- deep blacks, white whites

Something along the lines of:
- RGB matrix
- 400 x 400 resolution (or more)
- 24Hz/fps refresh rate (or more)
- 500 nits (or more)
- 0.01 nits Black Level (or less)
- 200 mW drain (or less)

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2013-09-10 at 02:45.

In fact, some e-paper BT display thingies are expected to last few days of regular usage, I've heard (and e-ink offer some nice things re strong ambient light enviromnent). It's worth to mention few semi-open projects (for sure way better, than what "big companies" from first post have to offer):

http://www.metawatch.org/
http://getpebble.com/ (warning, this one uses "e-paper" term in adverts, while in fact, it's not a real e-paper, just very low-power transreflective B&W screen...)

...etc. Sadly, none of them is really open, so people started bundling together a 100% DIY (from base components, microcontrollers, etc) thingies, printing cases for them on 3D printers. That is the really interesting segment of bluetooth watches.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-09-10 at 02:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Fort Worth, Texas
I'm impressed with my Metawatch. lasts for a week, using SoWatch i get all my notifications from my N9 without taking the phone out of my pocket.

Great whilst on a bike, driving etc. It is as 'open' as you can get. There are no real 'apps' on the watch, they are all on the phone. If you can code for N9, you can get busy! If only i could be competent with github and work on @JavisPedros SoWatch work!

I don't need different 'watch faces', but it would be nice to configure the home screen as per the iOS and 'Droid phone apps.