Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
As the Tablet runs Linux whats the nearest distribution I can find that matches it ie what is is based on?
The short answer is it's a bit like Fedora, as for the long answer, read on...

A bit of a history lesson, if I may. Sailfish is the continuation of the MeeGo project, a partnership formed between Nokia and Intel, after they merged their maemo and Moblin projects. maemo was based on Debian, while Moblin was built on Fedora. As they went down the route of using RPM software repositories, I think I'm correct in saying MeeGo was a little closer to the Fedora side of things.

When the MeeGo project was abandoned, the Mer project was reanimated, forking that work. Mer is more of a core or middleware, upon which vendors add on a UX (in Jolla's case Silica) and use a kernel. Packages are built using the OpenSUSE build service.

So to answer your question, Sailfish is built on Mer. As it uses the Wayland display server protocol (as opposed to X), with Lipstick as it's graphical shell framework, in reality there isn't a distribution that is really close to it, although Fedora keep projecting future releases which will use Wayland. There are also similar philosophies, eg early adoption of new technology (wayland, systemd, etc).

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Thanks Mr sell out that was just what I was looking for.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zenecho For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
So far I'm pretty happy with the ui. It's still the nicest out there. It would be nice if you could have more than four icons in a rows. Is this something you can change with lipstick? While I did not have high expectations with performance was wondering if it could be improved with some adjustments in cache or overclocking a little. Anyone try playing with that? Also, what are folks using for browser. At this point, I get the best overall experience with the android browser Dolphin. Thanks!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
So far I'm pretty happy with the ui. It's still the nicest out there. It would be nice if you could have more than four icons in a rows. Is this something you can change with lipstick? While I did not have high expectations with performance was wondering if it could be improved with some adjustments in cache or overclocking a little. Anyone try playing with that? Also, what are folks using for browser. At this point, I get the best overall experience with the android browser Dolphin. Thanks!
Patch to modify launcher:
https://openrepos.net/content/coderu...combined-patch

I would also like to know about oc:ing. I have used sailfish-browser, Webpirate and Webcat. I like both Webpirate and Webcat but I think I prefer pirate

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
Tablet complains about overheating under certain circumstances (e.g., skype for android), so probably not a good idea to overclock.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
I got my tablet yesterday and I love it! SailfishOS 2.0 is perfect for tablets, and the screen is beautiful.

Only issue is that it didn't find my WLAN when it transmitted on channel 13. When I changed that, it did find it. Had that problem before with Linux laptops.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by eekkelund View Post
Patch to modify launcher:
https://openrepos.net/content/coderu...combined-patch

I would also like to know about oc:ing. I have used sailfish-browser, Webpirate and Webcat. I like both Webpirate and Webcat but I think I prefer pirate
I didn't go through all this thread and didn't found any search result, but is there an i486 build for patch manager? I never seen it... from this it only has armv7 arch...

The Following User Says Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
I didn't go through all this thread and didn't found any search result, but is there an i486 build for patch manager? I never seen it... from this it only has armv7 arch...
There actually is!

edit: better response by coderus
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

Last edited by velox; 2016-04-15 at 08:57. Reason: better link

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Hi all,

what do you think. Wouldn't it make sense to make a thread where all for the tablet available Software is listed and linked? I have already found the patchmanager before velox pointed it out again. But to find software is at the moment a little bit painful.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
yes its a great idea

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zenecho For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfishos