Notices

I've come to notice that avi files are starting to lag when using SiB / Mplayer. By this, I mean that the video slows down sometimes while the audio plays normally. After some point, the video will speed up to catch up to the audio. Then the process repeats. If I have the "Drop Frames" option selected in the settings, then video plays back very choppy while keeping up with the audio. This used to only happen with mkv and certain other file types and did not happen with avi. Anyone know why its starting now and how to correct it?

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
AVI is not an indication of what codec the video is using, it's only a container. The shuttering means that the video you are trying to play has too large bit rate or it is encoded in a format that is too CPU intensive for N900 to handle.

Only things you can do are:
1. Overclock, most units can go up to stable 800Mhz
2. Play with Gstreamer based player eg. stock media player. It uses the DSP to accelerate playback
3. Re-encode video

Oops. I knew that. The files in question are encoded using video: divx 3 low motion, 983 kbps, 25 fps, 640x352; audio: mp3, 159 kbps, 48000 Hz; total size: 350 MB.

They will not play in the standard media player.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Slovakia, Bratislava
Yeah, I got the same problem, especially with videos downloaded with Cutetube.(with option to download videos in 480p quality) At first it was funny, then it went very annoying. I also use it without drop frames option, but now when I watch films I always overclock my phone because in result video is more smoother than without overclock.(I download film right into my nokia and then I straight watch it without conversion, standard .avi file that fit on one CD is more than enough for n900's resolution and looks very good on it) With full-length films I experienced that video was rather choppy than slowering video down.