Active Topics

Notices

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
MMS is the kind of app I don't use often. But the times I need it it is absoutely crucial, nothing else will work as an alternative.

fMMS enables a rudimentary MMS funtionality on the N900, but let's be honest. As an app it sucks plain and simple. Anyone working on a better alternative?

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
How about suggesting improvements instead of just saying it sucks? I doubt anyone is a mindreader and can guess what kind of functionality you are missing.

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

The Following 66 Users Say Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 251 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland, Vaasa
If you dont get it work with your mobile carrier it doesnt mean that the app sucks. fMMS has alway worked for me and i think we dont need alternative.

The Following User Says Thank You to mele For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
fmms for the wictory! Have used it since first devel-release and really never have had any serious problems with it

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Or instead of submitting feature requests and saying it sucks, submit patches if you feel you can do a better job.

I have a feeling that won't happen, you know the reason.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
MMS is the kind of app I don't use often. But the times I need it it is absoutely crucial, nothing else will work as an alternative.

fMMS enables a rudimentary MMS funtionality on the N900, but let's be honest. As an app it sucks plain and simple. Anyone working on a better alternative?
Hmmm ok, i agree entirely with the responses, but lets try and be constructive
  • What does fmms do that you like? ie - features you want to keep?
  • What does fmms do that you would do differently? or would like to be done differently?
    (Bear in mind there are probably limitations)
  • What would you like to see removed from mms?

If you have been following the fmms design and function over the last year you would realise that mms was not possible, so what frals has done is to be congratulated - yes things can be done differently, and i'm pretty sure frals would listen if it made sense
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
It works pretty good for me. I receive an MMS (push) notification, fMMS loads when I click it, shows me the message. And I can send messages with pictures and text back.

What are the differences between Polite, Rude and Havoc methods? I have it on Polite and works well but never tried the other two.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland, Vaasa
# Polite: This mode only connects to the MMS APN if no other connection is active.

# Rude: Automatically takes down your current connection, connects to the MMS APN and when it’s done reconnects to the previous connection if possible.

# Havoc: This is what other phone does (albeit much more reliably), it opens a second connection to the MMS APN in parallel with the one currently open. As an added bonus, the MMS APN is hidden from the “Connections” UI in this mode as it does not need to be visible.
Due to the nature of the kernel in Maemo 5 there are some ugly hacks involved in this, so if your current connection and the MMS APN configuration share the same network namespace, things might get ugly. Also, if the application fails in some way when opening/closing a connection in this mode it MIGHT lead to the modem not being able to open a new GPRS connection until a device reboot. You have been warned. Note: I’ve been using this mode for more than 3 months and not yet had it happen to me

From Frals blog

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mele For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post

What I would like to see improved in fMMS in no particular order:
  • Ability to attach other media types
  • Multiple recipients for a single MMS
Those things aside I'm quite happy with it.

Posts: 171 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, uk
Originally Posted by tzsm98 View Post
[*]Multiple recipients for a single MMs
you can - or at least i just did... do you have the latest version?

The Following User Says Thank You to zail For This Useful Post:

Tags
fmms rules, mms or pms, never happy, op is a bumder, op is a douche, op is an idiot, op is on rag, op needs a slap, op sucks, thanks frals