Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
If you don't want the desktop because you want to save that one click just don't go there! You can simply switch between the multitasking screen and apps without ever seeing the desktop.
That of course means that you'll always have to leave one app opened, but frankly I can't remember when I closed the terminal the last time.

I could rather spare the apps menu than the multitasking screen because everything I need is on my three desktops and for some things I don't need an icon at all because I start them from the terminal anyway (e.g. mc, vim).

I have no idea how much RAM it will save to completely eliminate the desktop, but I wouldn't estimate it to be more than a few kB. I think you can gain more free RAM by choosing a solid-colour background image.

Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
thanks @retsaw
memory saving might be negligent.. but IMHO it will surely reduce the amount of clicks & hence save a bit time.. no bouncing back to desktop... just the apps... active/inactive..
I'm not sure you even know how to use Maemo 5. No, sorry, scratch that. I'm not sure you're even using Maemo 5.

What is all this clicking and bouncing around you're doing? (That was rhetorical; please don't answer)

Dude, you never have to go to the desktop if you don't want to.

And dude, we never go to the app manager because we know what we're doing.

But dude, do the right thing and learn how to customize and optimize your primary desktop. [hint: NO "running" widgets]

May the force be with you.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Malaysia
No desktop? Your missing the fun mate!

The Following User Says Thank You to K9999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
You can use the desktop as app launcher and never go to the menu. That's what I do anyway...

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
You can stop hildon-home with the command (run as root)
Code:
dsmetool -k /usr/bin/hildon-home
which may save a bit of memory. And can stop it starting at boot by editing the file
Code:
/etc/X11/Xsession.post/18hildon-home
and commenting out the line (in this case that means put a # at the beggining of the line)
Code:
/usr/sbin/dsmetool -t /usr/bin/hildon-home
However you still get the desktop views (just without any widgets or shortcuts) as that seems to be provided as part of hildon-desktop, and should you go to edit the desktop and click on the desktop menu, then hildon-home will automatically be (re)loaded.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I'm not sure you even know how to use Maemo 5. No, sorry, scratch that. I'm not sure you're even using Maemo 5.

What is all this clicking and bouncing around you're doing? (That was rhetorical; please don't answer)

Dude, you never have to go to the desktop if you don't want to.

And dude, we never go to the app manager because we know what we're doing.

But dude, do the right thing and learn how to customize and optimize your primary desktop. [hint: NO "running" widgets]

May the force be with you.
I'm not sure you even know the post is under Brainstorm. No, sorry, scratch that. I'm not sure you even understand this is just a thought and not a Boot-Script that will erase YOUR Precious desktop from your N900.. if you even Own one...

maybe i have made this post too early i should have posted it in 2014 when mobile devices might be crossing 2gb mark of ram ... and by that time you will realize that N900 has just 256mb... i don't know about you but i will still be having My N900 by then... just like My years old 7710...

may be you are not understanding what i am trying to say... let me explain this way

people like N9

now imagine N9 has lost its Swipe control

and their is a menu button placed on the upper left corner of it to navigate to all three views

so people will still like N9 but not in the same way..

now about N900

what i am telling is

totally removing desktop...

now when you unlock the N900 you will directly see the apps menu (whats wrong with that)

and only apps menu "not even multitasking view" since no app has launched yet..(only one view till now)

now when we launch an app Multitasking view will come into existence.. which is default maemo behavior, thats simply Genius

now the important thing is.. currently in multi tasking view when we hit the vacant region we are navigated to desktop.. or if we are in apps clicking blank region will send us to multi task and from their to desktop...

now in absence of desktop.. hitting blank region will lead us to apps and in apps hitting blank region will lead us to multi-task...i feel its simple and quick

their wont even be a need of menu button in the corner in those two views... will just be required to restore from an app to multitasking

and its still a thought "don't take it personally"

May the force be with you too..

P.s @retsaw thanks, that script works(and safely)... thanks very much

Last edited by immi.shk; 2012-04-13 at 19:36.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
@Retsaw

Do you know how to remove and maybe even replace the menu with something else, more useful?

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
maybe i have made this post too early i should have posted it in 2014 when mobile devices might be crossing 2gb mark of ram ... and by that time you will realize that N900 has just 256mb...
If computerdevelopment has learnt us something then that is that while ram and cpu gets more powerful, then software gets even more inefficient and bloated and thereby eats up all the progress that hardware has made.

i don't know about you but i will still be having My N900 by then... just like My years old 7710...

may be you are not understanding what i am trying to say... let me explain this way
people like N9
now imagine N9 has lost its Swipe control
and their is a menu button placed on the upper left corner of it to navigate to all three views
so people will still like N9 but not in the same way..
I understood very early that you were looking for a classic symbian S40 interface...

But if development continues as it has done so far from apple newton and n9xx0 communicators until todays wp/ iphone, then in 2014 all phones will be simple appz launchers, of the type you and you computer illiterate grandmother wants...
(Maybe without multitasking , since that probably will be seen as obsolete technology by then )

Last edited by electroaudio; 2012-04-13 at 20:22.

Plenty of us who have both Maemo 5 and Harmattan devices, of which I have both by the way, think that Harmattan was Appled-down for the masses. With removing the home pages and adding Aegis, I'm surprised Nokia let the n9 multi-task.

Anyway, while you're "brainstorming", don't forget to put the control panel somewhere, it would be lame if you had to start an app just to see the time.

In your first post I agreed with you here:

just a stupid thought

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I think the status area should be visible in the multitasking view anyway. The space is not used, and I am more time on that screen than on the desktop.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post: