Notices

Hello everyone,

I'm working on some software to use National Rail Enquiries' online live departures information. Most of the basic functionality is in place, so it should all be functional if not yet beautifully pretty.

Due to the current autobuilder issues with PR1.2, you won't be able to get it from extras-devel right now, so instead you can get source/binary deb if you want to try it out:

https://garage.maemo.org/projects/uktrainplanner/

Stewart

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to StewartHolmes For This Useful Post:
Nice one. Look forward to this.

Your an absolute legend. I've wanted this to appear so badly it hurt. I would like to make a donation if you accept them.
Thank you so much.

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Perth, Australia
Awesome - just a heads up though that National Rail Enquiries are very protective of their data, and refused permission for me to use live departure information in my app when I asked, so you might want to check with them before putting in a lot of effort in to developing the app.

This is national rails acceptable use policy.

Acceptable use Policy

Some individuals and organisations have been caught obtaining the data for commercial gain without being licensed to do so. Further, some users attempt to make excessive use of the site. While periodically refreshing browsers left open are acceptable, the use of scripts that draw down very high volumes of data is not permitted, since this jeopardises the service for other users.

We will detect and prevent such unlicensed activity to keep the service available for all our customers.

So by the looks of it, as long as its not for commercial gain, you dont need a license. Your advertising their company for free, and providing a facility which makes life easier for their customers. I think you'd need not worry, they'll be begging you to make it happen.

Yep... I'm getting the data from their publically accessible API (designed for doing just what I am doing) at http://www.livedepartureboards.co.uk/ldbws/.

As you'll see in the software, there is no station-station journey planner (the button for it will instead open the web-based one), as I'd have to screen scrape for this, and I know they got pissy with someone doing this for iPhone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StewartHolmes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West London, UK
Sounds excellent - many thanks!

Hmm, I've got some missing deps still even trying to install from the Garage deb, namely libqt4-xmlpatterns(>=4.5.3~git20090723), does this work for other people?

"apt-get -f install" after installing the deb with dpkg should pull the dependencies and complete the installation.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
I'll be a regular user when this gets completed!