Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Forum Nokia explained yesterday at the Maemo Barcelona Long Weekend that Maemo commercial developers interested in publishing at the Ovi Store are invited to apply to their Launchpad program for free.

Approved applicants will have free access to Ovi Publisher plus the regular services from the Launchpad program.

More details specific to Maemo will be provided next week but developers were encouraged to apply already at http://www.forum.nokia.com/Premium_S...aunchpad.xhtml explaining the Maemo projects they are working on.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
It is now officially announced at http://forum.nokia.com/maemo

Free Launchpad Membership Offer for getting started with N900 and Maemo development!
Read more about the programs and apply today

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Good looking out Quim, thank you.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ The InterWeb
Thanks for the news! Very sharp.

Offtopic:
Have you seen the comments on Nokia Lauchpad release?? Comments are ranging from 'How do I connect with XML to DB' to 'My Nokia 5800 mic. doesn't work!!11!!ONEONE'.
Poor Ron Liechty who has to manage the Forum...

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that Launchpad is incompatible with open source development because everything there is under NDA.

Assume you are developing an open source application, which you also hope to sell on Ovi in closed source form. (Yes, there are people who will buy such software, just as there are people who buy CDs even though they could download the same music for free.)

Suppose Launchpad publishes some Maemo 6 API changes under NDA. You can't then use the new API in your application, if others will see that API being called when they view your git or svn repository.

How is this supposed to work?

Regards,
Roger

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that Launchpad is incompatible with open source development because everything there is under NDA.
Quoting Quim, "Forum Nokia explained yesterday at the Maemo Barcelona Long Weekend that Maemo commercial developers interested in publishing at the Ovi Store are invited to apply to their Launchpad program for free."
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
If there is any activity under NDA it will do more with timing (having access to certaqin information before t's public) than with content (being able to use APIs that won't be ever public). Just like it happened with the Fremantle Stars, actually.

Anyway, we are doing our best pushing public unstable releases with APIs and docs as soon as they are ready.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Quoting Quim, "Forum Nokia explained yesterday at the Maemo Barcelona Long Weekend that Maemo commercial developers interested in publishing at the Ovi Store are invited to apply to their Launchpad program for free."
Thanks stskeeps, but commercial development and open source software are not mutually exclusive (MySQL, for example).

But Quim has answered my question. If you join Launchpad you might get told about an API change under NDA, before that API change is made public. If you make use of that API, you can't commit your changes to your project's public version control repository until the API change goes public.

I would simply avoid using the new API until it goes public.

Regards,
Roger

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Just wondering... Is the program still active ? I know of companies who still have not received any response to their applications (not even an acknowledgement or plain rejection) so am a bit of a loss whether to recommend/mention this program to people or not ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Tags
forum nokia, ovi store