Active Topics

ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle $57
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16921

Sold for at least $72 in Ebay.

Edit: Tested by "nix". These are his pictures and a small testing video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWzWgJWnfu0

pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/xmpp.tes...an_N800_OBDII#

Last edited by ghassane; 2009-01-15 at 04:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghassane For This Useful Post:
Thanks, great price. Does anyone know if this particular unit works with Carman? I was just getting ready to spend $170 for ODBkey, but I'd much rather spend $57.

Originally Posted by HowHH View Post
Thanks, great price. Does anyone know if this particular unit works with Carman? I was just getting ready to spend $170 for ODBkey, but I'd much rather spend $57.
Actually i didn't buy it but i'm quite sure that all OBD-II dongles with ELM327 chip will work with carman, someone from Carman developer could help you with this issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to ghassane For This Useful Post:
I just bought it. I'll update this thread after I test it.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Many thanks for the upcoming reviews.

There are also USB versions out there. This might be preferred for some for additional privacy. NOTE: USB does not appear to be supported by Carman!

According to my search my car supports OBD-II but how do I know where I connect it? How do I know this ELM327 tool supports it?

Found one on eBay UK for £29.99. It uses BlueTooth 1.2. This is even more insecure than 2.0 hence all the data can be read out by others! What BlueTooth version does the DealExtreme one support?

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2008-10-26 at 18:21. Reason: eBay UK link

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post

There are also USB versions out there. This might be preferred for some for additional privacy. NOTE: USB does not appear to be supported by Carman!

According to my search my car supports OBD-II but how do I know where I connect it? How do I know this ELM327 tool supports it?

Found one on eBay UK for £29.99. It uses BlueTooth 1.2. This is even more insecure than 2.0 hence all the data can be read out by others! What BlueTooth version does the DealExtreme one support?
yes, Carman supports only Bluetooth until now, perhaps usb in future.
Your car support OBD, you must read your car manual and look for OBD, you will find exactly where it is located. You can find same info in many website, just use Google type your car model and OBD.

If your car is OBD II so, this Dongle support it. Any OBD II reader is compatible withh all cars using OBD II.

I don't understand your problem with secure connection. You are only reading data, you can't write it. So, what's the problem if others can read it?

they are in general more interested by the Bluetooth in your PDA than the one in your car .

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post

There are also USB versions out there. This might be preferred for some for additional privacy.

Privacy???? OMG- you are worried someone might find out how many milliseonds your fuel injectors stay open? or how many volts your cars O2 sensor has across it?

BTW- Bluetooth is secret key-based encrypted by default anyway, so your O2 sensor voltage is probably safe from all but the most determined spies.

Last edited by xxM5xx; 2008-10-28 at 09:43. Reason: added fact that Bluetooth is a secure connection anyway

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by ghassane View Post
I don't understand your problem with secure connection. You are only reading data, you can't write it. So, what's the problem if others can read it?

they are in general more interested by the Bluetooth in your PDA than the one in your car .
Yes, my car supports OBD-II, I just have to find the connector.

The BlueTooth in my NIT, phone and laptop is hidden.

Some people are using BlueTooth for tracking and building databases with such information. I don't like that.

Originally Posted by xxM5xx View Post
BTW- Bluetooth is secret key-based encrypted by default anyway
First of all some devices have standard keys. I have no idea how to change them. Second, this cryptography implementation is most likely broken.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
There isn't much motivation for a hacker to exert effort to crack my Bluetooth. What is he going to see, how fast my engine RPM is at idle?

When I have sensor data in my car that I worry about someone stealing ----AND---- that person is within range (10 to 30 meters) then I will worry about it. Fact is you said something foolish regarding Bluetooth security concerns and the ELM327, just admit it.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
a Hacker could reset that check engine light in your VW without your consent....

anyway until carman support USB, I will keep using the Scangauge