After owning my n800 for a year and a half, I think it's now failing. I normally leave it powered on all the time. On a plane trip a couple of days ago, I forgot to turn it off, and afterwards found it powered off. It was a short trip, so it shouldn't have drain the battery. I turned it on and plugged in the charger anyway. Then it seems to reboot itself every 10 seconds or so, sometimes even before a bootup completes. I then turned it off and charged it full while powered off. Even then, it would always powers itself off randomly, usually in less than 5 minutes of usage.

Do you think it's broken? It's now out of warranty. Is there anything could do to diagnose the problem and perhaps fix it?

The Following User Says Thank You to ben76 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
It looks like a memory corruption problem. Re-flash!

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I'd also suggest a reflash, following a full backup of course.

Also, if you have any memory cards, back them up and format them in the tablet. I also found that I needed to pack my internal card with a bit of paper, which also reduced reboots, and random card dismounts. looking to do the same somehow with the external card.

gaz

reflashing seemed to have fixed the problem. It's been stable for a day now. Maybe the high-altitude radiation did it while I was on the flight.

It's kind of funny, my N800 (bought in January 2007) also started to behave strangely the last few days. It was off in the morning, something that hasn't happened since I fixed it to never start the crawler (half a year ago). Put it on the charger, everything looked ok. Then it happened again.

I then started to keep an eye on it, yesterday I charged it at work (it was off in the morning _again_), wondering if the battery had finally conked out. It was fully charged when I left work, but at home it had turned itself off. Instead of putting it on the charger I just booted, and the battery was just fine - no discharge. I kept it connected to my phone all night and checked that everything was fine, no CPU use, email etc. working OK.

This morning it was still OK, battery fully charged. This afternoon I checked it again, everything OK, then drove to work. It was off again when I came in to my office. I've checked the battery, it sits snugly, so it shouldn't be caused by a spurious power break, but at this point I don't know what could cause it. When up and running everything is looking just as it always did - no problems.