Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
OutLink sounds interesting - I'd not heard of it before.
Well, I put it out on InternetTabletTalk.com, exclusively, almost a year ago. I guess I should have put it out on something like tucows or dogpile, but I didn't. As a matter of fact, I just checked the EXE date and it is from Thursday, February 09, 2006, 1:58:28 AM. So it is almost a year old. I stated that it was freeware, and it still is.

I just now tried to go to the software download link on InternetTabletTalk.com, and I see that the link is no longer viable. I guess the website upgrade broke that.

Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
Perhaps some publicity would be useful (e.g. on maemo-developers) and linking it up with the OpenSync port which (just) needs a GUI.
I will put Outlink out on the web again, this time, not just on InternetTabletTalk.com. I can't do it now; it is on my home PC.

Below is a screen capture of Outlink running, and a screen capture of the resultant files, all easy to read/understand XML:
Attached Images

Last edited by michaelalanjones; 2007-01-24 at 15:44.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
You should definitely announce it on maemo-developers, I think there's a quite clear split between development/hacking on the mailing list and end-user type questions and more community-based content here.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Hey, can we reduce the drama ...So far the trolling and flamebaiting
Note to Andrew: keep up the great work.
I am not trolling/flamebaiting. I am making points. Sorry if you can't handle a dissenting viewpoint.

I do want this device to succeed, and simply trying to cajole developers is not enough. Developers will write for this platform if they want to, and have the time.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by michaelalanjones View Post
I am not trolling/flamebaiting. I am making points. Sorry if you can't handle a dissenting viewpoint.

I do want this device to succeed, and simply trying to cajole developers is not enough. Developers will write for this platform if they want to, and have the time.
I didn't say your contributions were limited to trolling and flamebaiting, michael, so no need to get your feathers completely ruffled. I'll gladly give you credit for the salient points, but by the same token, I'll also kindly and respectfully ask you to, as I did, minimize the drama exemplified in the hyperbole.

Your assumption that I "can't handle a dissenting viewpoint" is a prime example of what I'm describing. It's an inaccurate accusation, disingenuous, arrogant, totally unnecessary and serves only to place the other party on the defensive. It would be great if all of us, myself included, could work harder on avoiding such antagonistic fare and stick to constructive (even dissenting, which I'm sure we are ALL mature enough to handle) dialog.

If you wish to engage in flaming, I respectfully request you use private messaging.

On topic, I wholeheartedly agree with your last statements. See, wasn't that easy?

Thanks.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Okay, I'll jump in and start back on the topic of the betterment of the Maemo GUI by saying that I've been working on a Home applet that would essentially launch web bookmarks, applications, and files from a single, one-touch location. The applet is called quick.launch, and would be customizable by adding and arranging items as the user chooses. Now I'm not an advanced developer by any stretch, and I'm finding it a bit daunting to create such an application at this level. So I'd like to invite any developers that would be interested in collaborating with me to get this and likely other application ideas up and running for these devices quicker than I, or anyone else, could possibly do alone.

Here is the latest screenshot of how the application looks so far. I'm thinking that each "cell" would act as a button and hold various item icons. Each cell would act as the touch controls by snapping to the center cell for display of the item title/name and for launching the item (either from the center cell button or from the select key on the d-pad).

For example, if you were to press the far left cell/button, the items would shift right four places while displaying the selected item in the center cell. At which point you could launch that item or continue navigating via the other cells/buttons.

I'm available via Gmail if anyone is interested.
- Derek Coleman
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Last edited by =DC=; 2007-01-24 at 19:39.

So the topic of this conversation was the inconsistencies in the UI of the N800. Can any of these issues be fixed/altered by 3rd-party developers or can they only be "fixed" by Nokia?

I, too, am a former Newton owner, and I am considering the purchase of an N800 to replace an aging Tapwave Zodiac. However, I don't want to leave a mature (OK, old) system (Palm OS) for an unfinished/unrefined platform in the N800. While I have only played with the N770 and N800 at CompUSA, many of the issues Sean brought up were immediately apparent to me in the limited time that I spent with the device.

It is my intention to set up a scratchbox and do some digging, but is it at all possible to alter the interface in a more substantial way than just altering the theme? Just how malleable is the Hildon UI? Can the icons be replaced? Is there an IDE for building Maemo apps? Which languages can be used?

Thanks in advance for any info.

About your last question : for GUI apps, to my knowledge, C, C++ (N800) and Python.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Anyone could entirely replace all of the GUI on a Maemo device, and just keep the underlying OS for power management, wifi, X etc.

Indeed, this has already been done with the GPE and Opie ports - but I don't think they offer enough (or have been sufficiently well publicised) to gain any traction.