Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Why software changes can void hardware warranty? That was always puzzling to me. Can something actually break in the device from such thing?
Yes
10 Chars

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Konsta View Post
Requested and received. I've merged the Jolla kernel source release (kernel-adaptation-sbj-3.4.0.20131115.2) on top of tagged Qualcomm (Android) kernel release so that it's possible to view all Jolla specific changes. Only really major change I noticed in my first quick glance through it, was that they've backported btrfs (from linux-stable 3.5.7). Other than that, their changes are mostly hardware enablement related (display, touchscreen, camera, sensor, etc drivers). Stuff you'd see in any kernel source for any e.g. Android device. Vast majority of their (or their ODM's) changes are even commented (who, when, what) which is great compared to some other stuff I've seen. In general quite clean, though I (literally :P) see red when I see all those whitespaces.

I've pushed the source to my GitHub. Happy forking.
https://github.com/KonstaT/sailfisho..._jolla_msm8930

I can write some instructions if someone is interested in building/booting custom kernels. It should be pretty basic stuff for anyone familiar with e.g. Android development (and the necessary tools are the same). From a brief chat I had with a Jolla engineer, flashing/booting a custom kernel image will result a permanent unlocked status (in bootloader?) and it will most likely void your warranty!
I apologize if I don't quite understand the full meaning of your post but if you are able to provide instructions for porting Sailfish to an android phone I'd be happy to try. I have a Galaxy Note 1 and 2 and am willing to try even though it is likely that such port will have its share of problems. Anyways as I live in the US, it is unlikely a Jolla phone will be available in the near future, so this would give me an opportunity to share in the "fun". Thanks!

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
Why software changes can void hardware warranty? That was always puzzling to me. Can something actually break in the device from such thing?
Yeah, overclocking the CPU is the common excuse given even though in the rare cases that something bad happens, it's the NAND that fries. In theory you could change voltage given to any hardware component on the device and quite easily break any of them. I don't think it's ever anyone's intention though. Mostly people just like to have full control of their devices and building a linux kernel (being open source) is essential part of that.

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I apologize if I don't quite understand the full meaning of your post but if you are able to provide instructions for porting Sailfish to an android phone I'd be happy to try. I have a Galaxy Note 1 and 2 and am willing to try even though it is likely that such port will have its share of problems. Anyways as I live in the US, it is unlikely a Jolla phone will be available in the near future, so this would give me an opportunity to share in the "fun". Thanks!
Pretty sure I'm the wrong guy you're asking. :P Coming from Android development I have pretty much zero experience on Sailfish OS/Mer/Nemo/etc. I'm still looking into what it would take to port Sailfish OS to other Qualcomm hardware. There's certainly not too much documentation (or open sourced device configurations) on porting e.g Mer, which is where you'd most likely needed to start.

This kernel source is useful for Jolla device only. Jolla kernel being based on a regular Qualcomm Android kernel tells us though that the Android kernel you have for your device should already be just fine for porting Sailfish OS. There's probably some config options that you need to enable as Mer requirements, but any crazy driver porting shouldn't be necessary at least on the kernel side.

Last edited by Konsta; 2013-12-20 at 19:45.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Konsta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Yes, you can for example compile kernel module that overclocks and fries the cpu.
This can be easily detected however -- via blown fuses. In fact, Qualcomm already blew a few ones after binning it that indicate the "max recommended speed" (aka castrate it).

There may indeed never be a way to flash a Jolla device -- see https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/413594939415859200 and ensuing discussion.

Unless there's some news in this regard, even chmoding the wrong directory will get you a Eur400 paperweight.

Sigh.

Last edited by javispedro; 2013-12-19 at 23:23.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
javispedro: I don't really get why they can't offer something similar to Moslo method. On Nexus 7 you can write Moslo first with fastboot, then boot into it, and it exposes the internal storage partition, which you can mount on regular Linux, format as any filesystem you want and trivially copy the OS image there. What prevents such kind of scenario in Jolla's case?

Out of all manufacturers, Jolla are simply expected to be open for this.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-12-20 at 00:51.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Out of all manufacturers, Jolla are simply expected to be open for this.
Since the Jolla device uses what Replicant calls the most open source unfriendly SoC (why???) I would not be surprised they really are prevented from offering flashable images by them.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
We need a way to be able to flash to stock, I know after a month or two of tweaking the phone I'd need to flash clean.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
javispedro: From that table it looks like Qualcomm is just "bad for freedom". It's a pity that their SoCs are becoming one of the most popular ones. May be next time Jolla should go with Intel already and get rid of all that ARM idiocy with no drivers and closed stuff.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-12-20 at 01:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
May be next time Jolla should go with Intel already and get rid of all that ARM idiocy with no drivers and closed stuff.
Well, even Intel could be problematic in this regard - see for example the Paulsbo disaster. On the other hand, their latest mobile systems fortunately seem to be using their own GPUs & open drivers. But I'm still not sure even the latest Intel mobile systems do the same things in the same power envelope as ARM based SOCs.