Posts: 187 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
what does Meego provide that SFOS doesn't do?
if you meant harmattan, then swipe ui > sailfish os IMHO
it felt simpler, and useful

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey04 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
It's a relevant question;
it'd be interesting to know how many n9 in total got sold
By my quick no-real-data-pull-from-stetson estimate I'd say there were at least several million sold N9 units. (which was just peanuts compared to the amount of devices Nokia sold that time when it was at the prime of the mobile phone business...)

That compared to the estimate of 50k...80k Jolla sbj1's sold means that N9's are about 1,5 orders of magnitude more common.
(which is huge difference indeed...)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
why not port harmattan ui to sailfish, use it in nokia and move on ?

The Following User Says Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
except there's no sign of current nokia (or HMD?) co-operating with sailfish
I don't mind using a closed-source solution, so it would be nice if they port swipe-ui to android (tho it would clash with certain parts of material design)
also at one point nokia made zlauncher, and some people actually sent a feature request to port swipe over, but since the launcher looks half-dead now ....

The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey04 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
why not port harmattan ui to sailfish, use it in nokia and move on ?
Because MeeGo.
The whole SwipeUI was originally conceived on top of MeeGo, which itself was a layer on top of Qt. Porting Swipe UI would mean port MeeGo, in short, with all the goods and the bads.
SFOS is meant to go the smarter way and use Qt as foundation, not some half-baked utility layer (of which albeit some parts were ok).

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
Because MeeGo.
The whole SwipeUI was originally conceived on top of MeeGo, which itself was a layer on top of Qt. Porting Swipe UI would mean port MeeGo, in short, with all the goods and the bads.
SFOS is meant to go the smarter way and use Qt as foundation, not some half-baked utility layer (of which albeit some parts were ok).
Nemo has mostly the same user experience as Harmattan considering it is Meego's de facto sucessor, any help to polish the system is always welcome and contributions are always appreciated

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sam Za Nemesis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
You can get both on Sailfish but you have to install the SIP support yourself. No idea why Jolla doesn't include it.

The interface of Sailfish is exactly the same. Except MeeGo's back button, which became a swipe, and thus more intuitive and polished.
I dunno, but meego in n9 way more beautiful imho

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
I dunno, but meego in n9 way more beautiful imho
No, it's only the crisp & bright OLED display of N9 what you are comparing to a not-so-top-of-the-line LCD display of sbj1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
I´m agree. OLED is a Killer Feature from N9
Yes i can install sofia-SIP but for this i wrote VoIP integration ON UI

I dont like to have an SIP-App, I like to have Contact-List with Numbers on normal telefonie and SIP (and Skype for these that still use Skype)

For me its not an Propblem if Nokia put Maemo or Sailfish on there Phone but mit N9 like UI

Or put N9 UI under GPL and publish Sources

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
No, it's only the crisp & bright OLED display of N9 what you are comparing to a not-so-top-of-the-line LCD display of sbj1
And I'm comparing sailfish with my bb z10, no contest, bb10 win, it's lcd btw, n9 ui > bb10 > sailfish, that's my opinion, give harmattan sd 820 and full HD lcd display, your sailfish have no chance at all

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post: