Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
DL.TV (eg, Digital Life) has a 9:13 video segment on the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet. What's interesting to me is to see the surfing capabilities and PDF viewing tested/demonstrated without pause, going from one website to another so casually I lost track of how many sites were visited. Someone who has not seen an N800 demonstrated gets a real sense of its speed here. The video capabilities of the device are admired, not overly, but acknowledging the difficulties and room for improvement (and no mention of YouTube) and the comparisons are made to cellphones for surfing not to laptops. The video VoIP coming is offhandedly described as a killer app, which I really believe. And twice the tablet is called a toy. This may be because the hosts aren't really interested in it as a general-purpose machine ("I believe, I'm not positive, but I believe it's built on top of Linux," we're told) and how one would go about adding applications or running Python, say, doesn't appear to have shown up on their checklist of features to check out. Nonetheless, their admiration shown is real, not feigned, based on what they perceive as the N800's real capabilities. Via Ring Nokia.
Read the full article.

Funny thing is I saw a CES episode they showed the N800 in the "secret room," this is actually what made me want one. I did not know of its existence and never got around to buying a 770. I went out to the local Compusa and picked on up the next weekend after I saw the show.

I did write the dl.tv guys a couple of times touting what a nice device the N800 was, but didn't get a response. It was good to see them demo it a little more on the show.

Scott

The Following User Says Thank You to nebulaone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
Now wouldn't it be nice to be able to watch DLTV either live or "on the fly" without having to dl, re-encode and transfer ??

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Minnesota
Calling the n800 a toy probably can't hurt it. In fact, if Nokia wanted to sell more of them, they'd position it as a pleasure device: a smarter, do-more-stuff version of the iPod.