Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Dear Maemo Community,

I saw today this device http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16921 and the related videos which show how it works with a Android phone.

It is possible to read the "debug codes" of a car which is really useful as car owner. But it can do also quite a few other things like showing the engine RPM, calculate the load value, show the fuel status, show the air flow rate, air temperature and many other things.

You can also log for example a route that way and see later how much fuel you used at which point or what your highest speed was. So yes the ODB-II connector gives tons of possibilities to a car owner.

Now the question is, will there be a application for the N900? Can the Android one maybe used as base?

Thank you in advance for your replies

In the N8x0 days (Maemo4) the same Brazilian (INdT) team that did Canola also had a nice project called Carman that did exactly that.

They don't seem too active nowadays, so I don't know if they have a Maemo5/N900 version in the works.

At worst, you could probably find a cheap second-hand N800 and use Carman on that :-)

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
That is exactly what I was looking for, I found it at http://openbossa.indt.org/carman/ and it looks awesome

It seems to be using Python, so I guess it should be generally no huge work to make it Maemo 5 compatible? Is the source code somewhere available?

Last edited by Crogge; 2010-04-14 at 20:00.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Poland

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pabloniss For This Useful Post:
Ah yes, I'd missed that one... looks like it's alive and kicking still :-)

I too would love to have this app for my n900...Although I already have a n810, I wouldn't mind having this app on maemo5.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Seattle
does look very cool, thanks for the heads-up.

If you go to carman site, and click download on the N810 link (with an n900), it does bring up App Manager with a request of adding a new repository 'Maemo Extras' (which looks to be something other than extras-devel which I have enabled), and after that point I exited out.

Has anyone continued down the installation path?

If it is mostly python, can't see too much extra coding to get it to work...?

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
I would love to have an app like this.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Bethesda, MD
As an avid car and n900 enthusiast I would love to be able to use this program with my S2000. Integration with gps, showing stats at various points along a route would also be amazing.

Amazing! I also want this for N900!
Does it work with older OBD's? I'm not sure that my car has OBD-II

Edit: It does have OBD-II

Last edited by msand83; 2010-04-15 at 07:11.