Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
MeeGo on a device with a keyboard and a mouse (touchpad)?
What for? I always considered a swipe interface a crutch to compensate for an inadequate set of I/O. I mean, it's OK if all you have is a touch screen but why would you bother if you have something better?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
The meego netbook user interface was designed for netbooks, and was pretty cool IMO (I had it running on a hp mini). Just search for "meego netbook" or check wikipedia article about it.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
sorry for my stupid consideration but why is so wanted from you? You have mini pc, you can have tablet, 2 in 1, why would i need a smartphone to use it as a pc? (with its little battery). you would need also a keyboard, a monitor, so what?
It would be weird to use my 13" laptop when I'm holding on onboard a tram.

Joke aside, it would be nice to have a device in the 6-7" form factor that I could use for on-the-go productivity. Currently nothing on the market can do it ― almost none of the devices have a hardware keyboard, none of them can run a development environment or a compiler, etc.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
ten inch tablet with dock? for example cube i7 style?

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I want it. I like the idea of working at my desktop, then disconnecting a pocketable mobile device from it and continuing my work as I go.
Something like that already exists with Apple ecosystem. Work on your iPhone on a document when standing at bus stop, continue work on the same doc in the bus on iPad. Then continue on the same doc at home on your mac. With iCloud sync you have access to some documents and data from all devices.
This solutions gives you exact same result as what you are asking, or what continuum is claiming to promise, or what Ubuntu is promising.

True, with Apple's solution you need to use the internet to replicate all data on all the devices and the cloud is used as backup. And I bet MS's (and Google's, whatever they come with) solution would be even more dependent on the cloud. Not sure about Ubuntu though.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
The concept of a mobile device that works differently than your desktop, that you "sync" to your desktop when you leave and return, was created (and perfected!) with the PDAs back in the 90's. All we've really got today with the smartphone world are PDAs that are also good media players...
Can I suppose from your comment above that you are against using the cloud? I am, and that is why I am a big supporter of the old style sync-your device-locally method. That way I at least know where all my data is. Unfortunately is is hard to sync my BB Passport with my macbook locally without going through the cloud.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
It would be weird to use my 13" laptop when I'm holding on onboard a tram.

Joke aside, it would be nice to have a device in the 6-7" form factor that I could use for on-the-go productivity. Currently nothing on the market can do it ― almost none of the devices have a hardware keyboard, none of them can run a development environment or a compiler, etc.
seems that there is more and more uses of byod services/mdm : where i work, people tend to use small devices and use rdesktop technology to run even resource demanding programs. So depending on the situation we use our laptop, our smartphone or a tablet and you may have the same access to our servers. Then up to you to have the device you like but I was quite impressed with a friend of mine using latest surface pro with a keyboard, the latest lumia and his laptop with no big differences in the use.
unfortunately linux is not supported at my work (apart from Android) but the idea is nice.

continuum doesnt rely on web afaik

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
ten inch tablet with dock? for example cube i7 style?
You cannot pull out the dock on the tram... the ten inch tablet itself is already inconvenient there, and without a hardware keyboard, useless for productivity.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
I would pay for that, as long as the code was also open. You are paying for someone to continue to work on the code, not for what has already been written.

Give people a subscriber ID and only take feature requests from people who are paying. That way you bypass the whole "fix it yourself" debate. Pay and get things fixed for you, or don't pay and make a code contribution, either is fine... just don't choose not to pay and still complain!

Jolla could target the Nexus line and let Google worry about hardware etc. The kind of people who buy Nexus devices are going to be the kind of people willing to try something different, too.

I don't know why, but once companies start down the road of listening to ad agencies, they seem to end up with loads of "features" that harm users but benefit the agencies. The whole idea of targeted ads is the opposite of the privacy respecting OS we all bought into. Hardly surprising therr's some "hostility" here!
lol, I probably would buy the OS

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Ha, one of the good guys from TMO wrote N9 like launcher in QML on top of Android
eh? where is it?

EDIT: found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCnl6q_AWPI

Last edited by Jeffrey04; 2015-11-25 at 10:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey04 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Joke aside, it would be nice to have a device in the 6-7" form factor that I could use for on-the-go productivity. Currently nothing on the market can do it
What about Pandora/Pyra?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:

Tags
brainfiction, brainstorming, fiction, jolla or iphone, neigh!, unicorn device