I for one would like to know what the disagreement was over (pyside versus pyqt). PyQT is an accepted high-quality language binding with a high-quality PyQT4 book out as well. PyQT is also available everywhere, whereas Pyside is currently linux only (maemo, deb, tgz). PyQT4 also already seemed to work on maemo.

Was it money? Wouldn't think so because Nokia surely threw lots of it to reinvent the Python QT bindings.

Looks to be a license difference, but couldn't Nokia have purchased Riverbank Computing?

Technical requirements were mentioned as a difference, but what does that imply?

Was it intellectual integrity and principles versus big business? I haven't found a reference yet.

This may be an awesome day for Nokia and Maemo, but we may want to bow our heads in remembrance over the apparent marginalization of the original PyQt bindings and developer that served the community long before Nokia even knew how to spell QT.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by mars View Post
... community long before Nokia even knew how to spell QT.
Well, is Qt not QT

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gijon
I hope that PySide would add:
  • faster website (not working now)
  • decent documentation
  • examples
  • howtos for maemo and linux platforms

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mars View Post
Was it money? Wouldn't think so because Nokia surely threw lots of it to reinvent the Python QT bindings.
My theory (which may be bs - people who know the actual facts probably are not authorized to spill the beans) is that not *that* much money was spent, since PySide is reusing binding creation stuff developed for Jambi/QtScript.

It might be interesting to go full circle and generate sip files (instead of Boost::Python wrappers) from the PySide xml api descriptions. This would be a legal "clean room" reimplementation of PyQt...

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
What about PyQt?
Nokia’s initial research into Python bindings for Qt involved speaking with Riverbank Computing, the makers of PyQt. We had several discussions with them to see if it was possible to use PyQt to achieve our goals. Unfortunately, a common agreement could not be found , so in the end we decided to proceed with PySide.

We will however maintain API compatibility with PyQt (you can use the same method names but can’t inter-operate with PyQt), at least for the initial release. To import PySide you have to use “import PySide” instead of “import PyQt4″.

What is the role of Nokia?
Work on PySide was initiated within the Maemo division of Nokia once the lack of suitably licensed Qt Python bindings became apparent. To encourage Qt application development on Python, the project was decided to be made available for the developer community under a permissive license.

Will PySide be open for community involvement?
Absolutely! While we plan on continuing to develop PySide, we are aware that it will be most successful if we can have additional community members joining in on the development and testing. PySide community resources can be found at this website.

Nokia provides developers for the project and will be initially leading it. That doesn’t say Nokia wouldn’t want to closely co-operate with the developer community, however!
... from the FAQ found >>HERE<<

The PySide story got covered by Slashdot today.
http://developers.slashdot.org/story...ersion-of-PyQt

That's a good thing - the more developers come to know about it the better for PySide.

The Following User Says Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
First of all PyQt is approximately 37k/12k lines of code (python/c++). So buying it would be a waste of money since a couple of programmers can write a replacements in few weeks (especially if you own Qt).

The move not to change PyQt to LGPL is short sighted of riverbank. They could have made increased income with bookdeals for mobile devices.
Nokia is clearly pushing Qt to all of their mobile platforms. With future releases of Qt the python bindings of PySide are likely to change and introduce incompatibilities with PyQt making it obsolete at which point riverbank probably will release a LGPL version when it's too late. Microsoft would call that EEE.

By the way, using Boost.Python is a good choice and should make porting easier.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ ChengDu, SiChuan, P.R.C
Nice Job!! PySide. It's more interesting for Maemo platform.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ the praeternatural tower
This is exciting news for me, since I am quite a fan of Qt. A few months back I had taken a PyQt app I had written on Windows, moved the source code to my Nokia 810, installed PyQt, and was flabbergasted to discover that the app worked perfectly with absolutely no changes to the source code.

There were some issues with formatting, since I had laid out the GUI for a larger screen than 800 x 480, but that was easily fixed.

I'm sorry that Nokia could not come to an agreement with Riverbank, but I am happy that I will be able to leverage my skill with Qt python binding onto Nokia supported platforms.