Active Topics

Recently I purchased a used n900. I followed the directions of the perfect setup wiki page where I flashed latest firmware (eMMC content 10.2010.13-2 and PR 1.3 version 20.2010.36-2 US version--how would I know??), installed cssustable, installed power kernel, installed rootsh, and other incidental app/lets, e.g. flashlight, opera mobile, flashlight, etc.

Of course I want a good experience on the device so I look towards the experts, you all. On downloads maemo 5 page they show apps in the order of how many downloads there has been along with their ratings. ModRana is a popular navigation app--something very important to me. When I tried installing it, it said unable and the problem came up with not having espeak. I tried sudo rootgain --> apt-get install espeak , which resulted in:

/home/user # apt-get install espeak
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
espeak: Depends: libespeak (= 1.46.22) but 1.46.27 is to be installed
Depends: espeak-data (= 1.46.22) but 1.46.27 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

It is not only with espeak that I am having troubles, for example, I can't get recaller because of gstreamer . . . What is going on? How can I fix this? I want to love the n900, but it can be very frustrating.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdaBwana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
The problem is, that espeak is in an inconsistent state in the extras repository. [1]
The newest version of the espeak package there is 1.46.22, while for its dependencies espeak-data and libespeak the newest version is 1.46.27. espeak needs exact version matches for its dependencies, but since apt-get tries to install the most recent version, this creates a conflict that can't be resolved.

dirty stopgap:
A: Manually download and install the three packages in version 1.46.22.
B: Install espeak from extras-devel, where espeak is in a consistent state. [2]

actual solution:
Whoever feels responsible for it needs to put espeak in a consistent state in extras.

Edit:
Take this warning: You should expect problems like this one a lot when installing software in Maemo.
In case you're familiar with Debian or one of its derivatives (Ubuntu, Mint, etc.) you might have gotten the tip to always double-check, what apt is going to do. While on Debian it is usually safe to ignore that tip, here it isn't! Maemo WILL try to cross you.

[1] http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p...free/e/espeak/
[2] http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...free/e/espeak/

Last edited by sulu; 2018-01-18 at 21:42.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Thanks sulu! I got it working, at least the modrana, recaller I'm still struggling with.

Anyways, still upgrading, tried to do the flash 12 hack in perfect setup wiki and summarized here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=2219. Turns out, no more flash 10 binaries, or at least none that I can find. By following the steps you may have noticed that I had to purge the default flashplayer. So not only don't I have flash 12.whatever, I don't have any flash! I looked in the repository for even the default flash (9.something??) still couldn't find it.

Can I get assistance?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdaBwana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
If you want to have flash player working... Try this link:
https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.ph...38#post1370438
I hope it works for you.

Disclaimer: I am not using Flash, personally. Or Silverlight, for that matter.

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Quite curious, Wikiwide . . . What is the (are) reason(s) for not using flash or silverlight for n900?

The Following User Says Thank You to AdaBwana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
There is hardly any reason for using Flash on a desktop PC nowadays, let alone on the N900. Flash is dead.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by AdaBwana View Post
Quite curious, Wikiwide . . . What is the (are) reason(s) for not using flash or silverlight for n900?
One: everything that Flash was doing before, HTML+Javascript can do now. Such as, video playing, headers/menus/navigation. Not interested in computer games, but they don't have to rely on Flash, either.

Two: since Flash player/client/plugin was/is written by Adobe, without any variety such as gnash, it is/was an easy place to attack. At the same time, HTML+Javascript are handled by a variety of web-browsers, which do not have the same predictable vulnerabilities, and thus do not offer such a reward to malware writers. And there are also Flash cookies, which make privacy more difficult to maintain.

Three: Flash player is closed-source, and much of Flash content on the web is closed-source, too. Not something to support.

Hence, Flash is useless, dangerous, and proprietary. Do not see a good reason to support it. I understand that it used to be an interactive PDF-lookalike thing which is guaranteed to work everywhere, the same way, without a hitch... But that was because web browsers had their quirks, and HTML wasn't feature-rich enough. Which isn't true anymore.

Not sure what Silverlight is. Just know that it's written by Microsoft, and hence, proprietary and dangerous [because nearly every Windows computer has Silverlight installed]. And likely useless, but I don't know what Silverlight is.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
There is hardly any reason for using Flash on a desktop PC nowadays, let alone on the N900. Flash is dead.
Quite true.

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post: