Active Topics

Hello everybody

I'm very happy with my N900, and still using it every day (as my main phone and device), even if sometimes it is limited (I think about web browsing right now). I would not change it for anything currently available on the market.
But my girlfriend seems to want a tablet that she could use for her work (mostly showing videos and playing audio files, as well as text files like pdf to her trainees). Right now she uses a "dumb phone" (a Nokia Asha something) that can't do this kind of stuff (apart from the audio playing even if speakers are not that loud). I'll have to mention that she doesn't want a smartphone (she really likes her "dumb phone" and don't want to replace it). As I am the one with the technology in the house I have to look into it.
An iPad is not an option, I don't own any Apple product and don't want to get one. So all is left is an Android device. I don't like Android OS because most of the time it comes with Google software and a lot of manufacturer software too. I prefer a clean up to date OS. I've played a little with Lineage OS, and even if not perfect (or good enough from my point of view), it seems to be the best alternative available.

So now the question :
Is there any available (like in new in the store or online) tablet that has the followings :
- supported by Lineage OS
- screen size of 7 or 8 inches (not more than 8 inches)
- 3G/4G (preferably with 4G, Europe frequencies)
- GPS
- good performance overall

I've looked at the devices page on Lineage OS website but there doesn't seem to be any tablet that I can find new and that has all the above requirements.

Was thinking that maybe someone has and idea about a tablet that isn't on that page yet and meets all the requirements.

PS : I know this is not an Android forum, but for now I am not an Android user (and don't really want to become one), so though I'll ask here first before creating accounts on other forums which are specific to Android.

Thanks for reading this long post and to those who could give me some advice.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malakai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 218 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ India

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to meet.vino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I have an Asus/Google Nexus 7 2013(flo) which works pretty well with LineageOS. The one with a LTE modem(deb?) probably works too but you have to look that up.
I strongly suggest a glass adhesive screen protector and a big thick bumper case, I use a Trident brand one which works pretty good. I also protect that rubber cased tablet inside a USB keyboard folder case except if I am at home reading a book.
The things are kind of fragile when you get to 24cm of leverage corner to corner against the glass digitizer or dropping on one of those corners and the thin bezer is not enough to stop the force. I went through tries just replacing the digitizer, digitizer and LCD, or both and the Al frame before I did it right and seated the digitizer right inside a straight bezel frame.
And with a quick duckduck(because eff-google)
https://download.lineageos.org/deb

may I recommend you use the f-droid repos and not install google services. I use the somewhat creepy apkmirror app to get the few closed APKs as I will not do G-Play. F-droid has an app to load and update community compiled chromium so you do not have to use Goog's binary Chrome browser. Right now the non-Play nav plugins are not at 100% but that is only important if you are using other apps form the gplay store.

FWIW I just bluetooth tether my Nexus7 flo to my N900 for network access or grab local wifi. The tablet fills the gaps like browsing, big screen and NFC for stuff like topping off my transit card.

Last edited by biketool; 2017-07-06 at 09:04.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by meet.vino View Post
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/y...2-in-1-tablet/

Worth checking this out
I second that option. I had the original Jolla tablet before, but I donated it as a prize to the Maemo Coding Competition.

Now I have ordered the Youyota tablet (64GB version) as I have full confidence it it, it is a very nice piece of technology well suited to all my needs.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by meet.vino View Post
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/y...2-in-1-tablet/

Worth checking this out
Wow, tried checking it out, but indygogo runs so many damn scripts I got sick of trying to unblock. It is literally an unusable website, I will wait til someone does a useful story on that tablet.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
He's looking for something with cellular connectivity.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Honestly I would not recommend a Jolla/Youyota tablet in this case, at all. The only requirements it fits is that it has a screen size of 8 inches and a GPS. Its performance is not good at all, in fact quite the opposite: graphics-wise the lag is unbelievable (instead of smooth movements as in other Sailfish devices it's all jumpy, and the screen has to be thoroughly wiped every couple of days if you don't want to get randomly registered taps and swipes), and the battery life is very, very, very poor (it lasts precisely 2-3 days just laying there, completely unused). It also doesn't have a SIM card slot, so would need tethering, and considering the mentioned Nokia Asha, this is not an option.

Maybe, and hopefully, these are software bugs that can be solved (although the screen having to be cleaned certainly isn't), but for now it's unusable for lay(wo)men.

Regarding the scripts on Indiegogo, I've found it 'only' needs indiegogo, iggcdn and stripe for the site to function.

Regarding the apkmirror thing you mentioned, you can use Aptoide instead, it's free software and works quite well.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Yes, I posted a link to the Nexus7 deb LTE image not the flo WiFi-only image. Though it should be noted the the Nexus7s DO-NOT do telephony over regular mobile networks, only data but she prefers her Asha for use as a phone so I assumed she wanted both.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
ooh, I missed that requirement.

However it's not a problem since she already has a dumbphone; Of course it depends on the phone but I used to do wlan sharing with my phones in the days of Symbian so I suppose she can use the phone to tether the tablet..?

Another option would be to connect a usb-stick cellular modem to the tablet; not an optimal solution since it most probably would require usb-a/microusb adapter and the stick would dangle out from the side unattractively.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
I always thought men are ok with somthing to "dangle out from the side unattractively."

/o\

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:

Tags
lineageos, tablet