Active Topics

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
To me it says Apple must step up R & D if they want to stay in the game. Some of the press were already touting the N900 as being superior to the iPhone but then again the press sometimes goes whichever way the wind blows. In any event there hasn't been a lot of "the iPhone does this better" remarks.

Nokia wanted to change the subject of the conversation from "How does (insert the name of any new device) compare to the iPhone" to "The N900 is a mobile computer" with its unspoken corollary, the iPhone is not a mobile computer...

Now Anssi Vanjoki not only highlights Nokia's impressive mobile computing history (steps 1 through 3), but the fact that Nokia is not finished yet. The unspoken corollary... what was Apples plan again?

Kudos Nokia... well played.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by jaysin22 View Post
This sounds like a real dumb part on Nokia and also now makes the chance of getting a subsidised T-Mobile N900 a very slim option. Way to go Nokia get our hopes up in the US and the crush it at the same time.
I was thinking its a very good thing Nokia is doing and fantastic news for end users.

Have faith, i cant see Tmobile not stocking this device soon after launch. I think the 1700mhz was used because Tmob was onboard early on with this device and aside from a few tweaks will allow you to use it as Nokia intended.

Im sure Tmob are looking for a way to gain market share against the leaders in the US and see a relaxed approach to handset use in the US as a way to achieve this. Its a differentiator and devices like the N900 (Maemo) are distributive to the current market practice which are often feared by the top heavy.

Last edited by dansus; 2009-09-04 at 22:58.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'd rather get an N900 and just tether with a teeny little flipphone. Give.. me.. that. Subsidizing is silly.. ultimately, you'll pay more in the end for that phone.
Not if you actually fully or almost fully use the bundle. If you fully use your bundle every month you're saving money. You'd save more money than if you go unlocked phone + SIM only subscription.

But that is the problem partly: if you have a bundle, you want to use it, because you're paying for it every month. You're also bound to the contract (with its vague FUP), and the phone (for which you pay every month).

SIM only is only a subscription (often for at least one year) but in essence a subsidized phone is a loan. You bought something on credit. You pay for it every month for one or two years. I don't want that inflexibility!

Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
Unfortunately, that argument is a bit of a red herring as when was the last time your ISP subsidized 50-100% of the purchase cost of your PC so that you could connect to their service? Just as with the PC you bought yourself can connect to the ISP without any specialized crap-ware or crippling, so can too an unlocked, unsubsized phone connect. It's when the provider is ponying up a subsidy that they insist on doing things "their" way. Which is unfortunate, but that's the reality of the situation.
Hmm, I see netbooks sold with subscriptions. Its similar.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I was also disappointed by the time given to the N900 in the webcast keynotes. So much more time was spent on the other devices, compared to the N900, it almost seemed like Nokia was trying to play down the N900, because they know this is a very disruptive device.

If I was a carrier, I'd fear the N900 too. It is the first seed of their destruction

Last edited by qole; 2009-09-04 at 23:40. Reason: wtf is N9000?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I was also disappointed by the time given to the N900 in the webcast keynotes. So much more time was spent on the other devices, compared to the N9000, it almost seemed like Nokia was trying to play down the N900, because they know this is a very disruptive device.

If I was a carrier, I'd fear the N900 too. It is the first seed of their destruction
It isn't step 5/5. Those interested will be hooked on Maemo Summit & more news.

EDIT: Vodafone NL won't sell Nokia N900.

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-09-04 at 23:46.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
It ultimately depends on how desirable the N900 is. If everyone wants an N900, at least one network will crumble and carry it without customisation, and if they do well then the others will feel pressure to follow suit.

If people don't want an N900 then the networks will feel no pressure to stock them.

Ultimately it's up to Nokia and Maemo fans to get the word out that this is something special.
Exactly ^

Not to sound like a broken record but I believe all Nokia wants is the same relationship with a carrier as Apple has with a carrier.
From what I could see, Apple dictated the terms to AT&T not the other way around.

In the US this was very unusual. Typically a carrier either tweaked a manufacturers offering or put the specs it wanted in a device out for bids, if you will. In a lot of cases it was the manufactures themselves that came up with various schemes that carriers could use to increase ARPU.

Apple changed all that using the leverage of its brand along with a device that exceeded everyone’s expectations and pro'ly pitched by its well known and respected CEO. They have a unique relationship with AT&T and I'm sure carriers want to keep it that way... unique. All other device manufacturers must play by the old rules. This gives Apple a huge advantage over everyone else.

Then Nokia comes along and exceeds everyone’s expectations with the N900. A subsidy deal may still come but none of the usual sources have seen any sales collateral yet so it may not be very soon. It sounds like Nokia didn’t expect anything with this “step” anyway. The N900 may have opened a lot of previously closed doors for a harmatten device though.

Does anybody else think this thread's title needs to be changed. Nokia finding “it difficult to form network partnerships” is a quite a bit different than “networks rejecting” devices. If a phone in the US has a carriers correctly provisioned SIM and the device itself is capable of the networks frequencies, it can’t be rejected. It may not have access to network SMS and MMS gateways or other server side services but the correct IP addy’s could be added later.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-09-05 at 01:41.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Apple changed all that using the leverage of its brand along with a device that exceeded everyone’s expectations and pro'ly pitched by its well known and respected CEO. They have a unique relationship with AT&T and I'm sure carriers want to keep it that way... unique. All other device manufacturers must play by the old rules. This gives Apple a huge advantage over everyone else.
I think Apple just happened to have hit at the right time with an idea/pitch to AT&T that Verizon didn't fully go for - they were pitched the iPhone first but found the concessions were too limiting... right? I never know if that is fiction or not.

Anyway, I just don't personally see the N900 as a game-changer as the iPhone. The game has already changed once. And I see the N900 being grossly underestimated by the suits, and overestimated by... well "us".

It's a push in the right direction. I just hope that Nokia doesn't go the route of making a carrier bend to their will. The consumer suffers imho.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Navigating in the WebKit-based browser....

The N900 looks promising; unfortunately, Nokia is selling it at a fatal price of $649. That's the price of three iPhone 3GSes, plus tax...
It amazes me how so called experts are allowed a keyboard, if anyone can enlighten this fellow, please do.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2352501,00.asp

Last edited by dansus; 2009-09-05 at 05:08.

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York
well in my humble opinion i don't think subsidies should allow carriers to lock your device. I mean lets be serious guys you bought the phone its your to keep you earned that phone and you signed two years of your life with a company if anything they should be thanking you.

Tags
carrier, n900, networks, nokia v. cell carrier war, operator, telco