Active Topics

Notices

I also face the same scenario where the view finder is very dark when the camera app is opened , but its easily fixable by changing only the ev values once. maybe at start-up Cam-UI might be ignoring the reported correct EV values by the driver or whtevr.

Also changing of ISO and EV values at the same time never worked for me (resulted in too dark or none responsive ISO /EV settings which forced me to restart the cam UI), but behaved as expected if you change only one of the parameters from the either.

nkirk

The Following User Says Thank You to nkirk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
Originally Posted by nkirk View Post
I also face the same scenario where the view finder is very dark when the camera app is opened , but its easily fixable by changing only the ev values once. maybe at start-up Cam-UI might be ignoring the reported correct EV values by the driver or whtevr.

Also changing of ISO and EV values at the same time never worked for me (resulted in too dark or none responsive ISO /EV settings which forced me to restart the cam UI), but behaved as expected if you change only one of the parameters from the either.

nkirk
I guess we are talking about this "at the same time" scenario... It's not really useful if you can fix one of this parameters and you can't set the other, as for example, if you want to take a picture on lower light but still want to get a good grade of details you should set ISO to a low value (100/200), and Exposure to a higher value (I really prefer Fcam for this, though), which can be somewhat achieved setting higher EV... and you have to be patient and non-shaking hands, or a tripod or somewhere to fix the cam... On the other side, you may wish to get the best of an even lower light scenery and set high ISO and High EV...
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

The Following User Says Thank You to strange1712 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Plovdiv, Bulgaria
I can confirm this bug occuring on manual ISO and + exposure. The only way to restore viewfinder was to switch to automatic ISO or select a - or 0 exposure setting then tap the viewfinder (or open any menu or dialog that fades the background and go back to the viewfinder).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tecs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by tecs View Post
I can confirm this bug occuring on manual ISO and + exposure. The only way to restore viewfinder was to switch to automatic ISO or select a - or 0 exposure setting then tap the viewfinder (or open any menu or dialog that fades the background and go back to the viewfinder).

This is an old known bug 10384.

I tried to solve this bug for my own camera-ui, but I
had to realize it must be a bug in the underlaying
camera-driver. There was no way to feed the
camera-api with just the "right" values. Every
combination of iso-value and ev-correction leads to
this black preview.
But of course, it is a won't fix and no information about
how we could fix this.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Just great, why wasn't this mentioned in the first post?

How can I rewind this?

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Suggestions:
raw and png format as output
make video capture less stuttering (sometimes happens)

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
What tone curve?
Sorry I meant the dark portion of the histogram. Have you not seen the same with regard to RAW and N900 JPGs?

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
@geohsia @Estel

Can you test this version. I removed the black-level values in
the dng file. This isn't right, but it seems to be responsible for
the bad raw data for lower light images.
Attached Files
File Type: deb camera-ui_1.1.29.2+0cssu9_armel.deb (64.4 KB, 97 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
@geohsia @Estel

Can you test this version. I removed the black-level values in
the dng file. This isn't right, but it seems to be responsible for
the bad raw data for lower light images.
Hi Nicolai. I tried to update (save and clicked on the file) and it says "Unable to update camera-ui Incompatible application package."

BTW, I believe the technical term to be "crushed blacks". This is more common in the video world.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Someone told that in this case you'll have go the dpkg route, as HAM won't install packages that don't sit in 'user' category.

Tags
camera-ui, fremantle