Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Thanks for the reply, The new features are great, however I think a better priority would be more speed, 1ghz is great but its still on the A8, I overclocked my N900 to 1ghz and made only small difference.

I think we need something a little more substantial need at least 1gb ram,.

Craig

The Following User Says Thank You to CraigRobbo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
^This is digital orgasm................ *Now, if we're going to be able to connect external stereo microphone via jack line-in on device itself, then it's a heaven. Build-in stereo mic, albeit not so crucial, is nice, too.

/Estel
agreed...... I want one now.....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Probably we could not hope to have this microphone:
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/03...und-explained/

But... it would be great... Could you imagine the audio recording quality?

The Following User Says Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Introducing the Neo900 project - the first true successor for N900

we're currently in the planning phase about a maemo5/fremantle-compatible successor of N900, with N900 look-alike (aka case) and a processor with more grunt and RAM......

WOOPS!

The N900 is the only true quality built smartphone that has been on the market. It was "made with love". Every little detail from the backsupport to angle the phone on the table, to the well placed buttons, to the housing, to the stylus, to the flash, camera and lens protector etc etc.

Are you saying it is possible to get a similar phone on the market with the same attention to detail? in that case, and in case it would be possible to rebuild Maemo as a fully open system (QT, GNU) I would definetely be willing to pay €1000 for it or more.

Last edited by zeebra; 2013-09-10 at 16:59.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zeebra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
That microphone dont do anything that cant be done with a normal microphone. it is more a "we want to make bad microphones so we make two of them instead" scenario... and the current n900mic is very good for a phone so i see no reason to exchange that for something else.
Also, from what i read it doesnt utilize the main reason for a dual capsule, that is directivity control, which requires two identical microphones.
Sorry, i think you are wrong. It seems that this kind of microphone with twin membrane has a different sensibility to allow a wider dynaminc range.
This allows to record the little noise produced by your breath or the music of a rock concert without introduce distortion.

Btw, it seems there is also some legal background to consider:
http://www.slashgear.com/nokia-begin...-mic-22278789/

Last edited by xes; 2013-09-10 at 12:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by xes View Post
Sorry, i think you are wrong. It seems that this kind of microphone with twin membrane has a different sensibility to allow a wider dynaminc range.
This allows to record the little noise produced by your breath or the music of a rock concert without introduce distortion.
No i didnt miss that, i was commenting on that...

The microphone in my picture from 1947 is used daily as a lowdistorting mic over the whole range from silent whispering to loud drums, the range it is usable for is larger than the range of our ears.
and there is nothing strange with microphones that can handle sound over a larger range than our ears. however, their approach is to build two microphones where each membrane has so low quaility that it only is usable over a very small dynamic range without distortion. normally it is not the microphone by itself that limits the range but the electronics that amplifies the signal that cant handle such a large range. and that is why we have different gainsettings , automatic-gain-control, compressors limiters and such stuff.

And btw, there is no way that a single membrane mic, albeit with two very different membranes, can filter out crowdnoise from other soundwaves in the air that hits it.
For that you need atleast two identical membranes connected either as inverse-differoid (three identical capsules) or as a directional microphone (normally two identical capsules).

Last edited by electroaudio; 2013-09-10 at 14:14.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
please consider S/N in this thread! Even using "delete message" on some of your posts would be sth nobody would probably mind you to do.
I will try to check upper sound pressure limit for the mics we use, as well as noise floor introduced. I think this dual-thingie is for SMT and how to get still semi-decent audio. Orthodox mics probably better than MEMS, but no reflow on them.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-10 at 14:35.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ California
Why isn't this on Kick Starter???

The Following User Says Thank You to VinnyLT For This Useful Post:
as I understand it will be there when the time coms so now it is better to enjoy the creation proces with a bucket of pop corn and wait

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by VinnyLT View Post
Why isn't this on Kick Starter???
Because we need to do prototypes first, and we need funding for those, and we won't start a kickstarter or whatever for prototype funding before we didn't do our homework and checked the basics that everything is feasible to the best of our knowledge. This includes even building little plastic models of the LTE/4G modem and place them on a unpopulated N900 PCB inside the N900 case to see if it actually fits.
Only then we will ask for funding to do a first 3..5 protoboards which each single one cost a few k$.

Originally Posted by VinnyLT View Post
The Freerunner GTA04 upgrade is currently €749.00.. Here's hoping the Neo900 won't be as much? point of the poll? idk. excited for release tho.
That's the complete device incl screen, case, everything. The swap GTA04 board is 599.-
The Neo900 can't possibly get any much cheaper (less expensive) since it uses all the same components plus a few new ones.
The point of the poll? Honestly, please bother to actually read this thread! Please don't use the fact that it's already quite lengthy as an excuse to add even more posts to it, asking questions that already got answered.

Thanks
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-10 at 22:58.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!