I have been in a similar situation to many, using wifi at home and only using about 100-250mb of internet usage a month. I don't see how I could go near the 500mb if I wasn't doing it deliberately. Since I heard about this situation though I've used about 300 in the past 2days.
I think, why should the people who use the data responsibly get punished by having to fork out if they ever go over the 500mb. Also, on a personal note I am still quite near the beginning of a 2year contract (what's that all about anyway, TWO f-ing years tied to the same contact just to get the device you want). Cutting the contract short will allow me to save a lot of money, plus allow me to upgrade when I want, not when they tell me.
So-sending a message to the corporate big boys AND saving myself cash- what's not to like about getting out of your contract early?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
I originally signed up with mobile phones direct - if I cancel my 2-year contract with Vodafone do I have to inform mobile phones direct too?
Depends who you are paying. Who cares if the other party knows or not. They only act as middle men in these deals.

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
i have just contacted vodafone and had a chat with a guy about this, he confirmed in the end that because of 11.2 I would be allowed to terminate the contract, but I would have to pay a termination fee.

Does this sound right? I mean surely they are the ones in breach, why should I have to pay a fee because they have changed my contract??

Posts: 1,306 | Thanked: 1,697 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Durham North-East UK
its not right, you cant be charged a ETF as its vodas fault due to breech of contract (i got out of one of my contracts with voda without paying ETF because of a similar arguement (though im my case it was due to my contract being falsly sold as unlimited internet and texts and me not being informed that their was a limit of 500mb on internet and 3000 texts

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Nottingham
I have a question:

Is the network capable of transmitting enough data to allow all users to have no download limit or would the amount of traffic make it difficult for everyone to even connect to the network?

No way should you have to (or you should) pay any termination fee. That sounds like he's playing you for a fool and saying "yes your right...so u can cancel but theres a fee".

If we had to pay a fee to cancel the contract then this whole thread becomes a little unimportant. The whole point is that VF have changed their price plan, put on a limit and are now saying tough luck to those with 2 year contracts. Meanwhile Nexus/Iphone users get 1GB from the start.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Is the fee enforcable by law?

If you cancel the contract then surely you cannot be bound by it's terms?

Originally Posted by spoonbuddy View Post
I have a question:

Is the network capable of transmitting enough data to allow all users to have no download limit or would the amount of traffic make it difficult for everyone to even connect to the network?

The network is capable of alowing all its users to use more than 500Mb per month - from what others have written it seems some are using close to 30GB. However with higher costs for VF in maintaining the hardware and operational service they are passing on the costs to us.

VF being the largest telephone operator in the world is capable enough to upgrade its functions to allow everyone to use the internet at their desire but in reality most people use the internet light-medium use.

Somenetworks like AT&T in the USA which once had exclusive rights to the Iphone saw its internet/call quality suffer enormously because of the concentration of iphone users in the NY area. So yes quality suffers but the hardware is there.

I cant remember where but I read an article recently discussing how all the operators are investing heavily in upgrading their hardware to allow for increased user bases.

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
I said to him, I was pretty sure I don't have to pay any fee as they are in breach of contract and he came back with, we are not in breach of contract because we have let you know what is happening, and if you don't accept it then it is up to you and you have to pay a termination fee to cancel.

I am pretty sure that isn't correct, as what would be the point of 11.2, you can pay a termination fee whenever you want, but could do with a little more information to go back at them with.

Originally Posted by mr_bridger View Post
Just found out my original basket infor (take screenshots and PDF's of everything)

looks like im paying extra for the internet? does this make a difference?
You get little mins for £25

see mine, plus N900 was free..
£30 includes VAT

Tags
vodafone con