Active Topics

Originally Posted by Minhaz View Post
All KP50 packages appeared in the package interface! :O
I wonder if it's related to gangbang X-Fade was getting in "council election" thread

// Edit

Nah, it's related to:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=45

So, kudos to freemangordon for constructively enforcing fix for this problem.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-04-05 at 16:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Hey firstly thanks for updated kernel-power to v50.
Secondly, I'm still haven't been convinced to overclock, and I didn't measure batterry use objectively, but my subjective opinion is that kp50 is a notch better at batterry usage than previous version.
Thirdly I installed a bunch of apps but I believe none of them were realted to video codecs.

Then a real point: on kp50 it seems the video is EXTREMELY LAGGED on SOME codecs/backends. On others it's PERFECTLY OKAY. So I smell a bug in some driver included with kp50. I didn't have this problem prior to installing kp50. extremely lagged means: video goes 3-4 times slower than sound track (which on my player resulted in 1:20 minutes of 0:40 and sound stop properly). perfectly okay means: there wasn't even a 100 milisecond lag while playing the video, I can't seem to differentiate the video of man playing the instrument and the sound itself. before somebody call me a noob I'll say the same test with same videos was done before. If pali or any of bosses may want making me sorry I accent "I smell the bug in kernel driver" but "I may smell in wrong direction" (which may mean changes in kernel uncovered old bug in player/backend/codec which was supposed to never happen basing on assumptions how hardware and system works, but assumptions become false).

Thinking about my experience, there's no dissonance between people saying "It's lagging video a hell I'll go back to KP49" and people saying "Here IT WORKS perfectly", and it isn't matter of being lover/hater noob/pro fail_of_user/fail_of_package_maintainer, It's just a matter people test in different enviroment while claiming it's the same. Problem doesn't seem the software would be unavailble to work properly (since in some cases it work perfectly) but rather seem a trivial bug on time calculation which makes video on some technical cases (codecs/backends) run constant times slower just because of miscalculation. To be sure I'll test it again on BFS kernel (which is based on KP49) since I have pretty multiboot configuration. I'll back soon.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to majaczek For This Useful Post:
...works for me.

seriously wtf are you on about?

What player?
what videos?
what 'CPU settings'

Need more data!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
...works for me.

seriously wtf are you on about?

What player? - Mediabox - it uses different player backends for different formats - at times of KP49 I tweaked config to make it actually play videos which with stock player arn't even loaded (just switched backend for the types to one another than used with stock player - I have about 3 backends side by side)
what videos? - several videos in different formats including flv and MP4 - some work properly as in KP49 some severely lags
what 'CPU settings' - default profile from kernel-power (updater doesn't ask me to update kernel-power-settings package)

Need more data!
answered inside quote. I have still to check some things, but not done yet as my phone is now under intensive task (NOTE: when I played the film there was almost nothing in background tasks)

Try playing films in different resolutions (my ones doesn't perfectly fit the screen - scalling occur - but all are much smaller than 720p) and different formats (mpeg4, flv, matroska H3623, etc.) and different backends (mafw, mplayer, and perhaps others). Note that MediaBox is only a player GUI and uses already installed backends. I have codecs for almost all common video/music formats on the phone. I may try checking which backend and which codec causes problem, but now I run optyfing script (pkgscan.sh) which involves many disk use, and I definately don't want make a system crash (script copies files then symlinks them, I run it because I have much stuffed rootfs, and I have to check if packages are able to optify so I must answer it questions). So i will make any new tests/checks later.

EDIT: After reboot (I managed to not brick my device by optifing some boottime essential) under same KP50 i cannot reproduce my problem (all works properly), but I believe it was always-reproducible in the short-term recheck. So it has to be some rare device state which triggerred the bug. I'm perfectly hapy now it works, but I'm curious what was the culprit.
The things happen during the try which catched the bug: Batterry was about 3% full (almost empty), It was long time since last reboot (before it used the 97% it was constantly under charger), I was connected to the network (GPRS i believe i remember), and openNTTPD was running (network clock syncing). I don't remember any other not normal things which happened to the device while I was for short time able to reproduce the bug. It may be some as mysterious bug as race condition. It could be also triggered by some VDD related function which was at not normal state (triggered by almost empty battery, and thus weird battery voltage). Ah one more I remember - after battery died (or player crashed i don't remember) and I recharged It couldn't boot up properly at all. First i thought I bricked the device, but removing the battery and puting back after 3 minutes helped. So indeed device was at weird state.
Since I can't reproduce problem anymore, You may forget it, and I will shut up about it, until it would happen once more. If somebody other claim it lags the video in any way, ask him what he/she was doing at the device while it happened, and ask him for check if reboot helps. Mysterious one...

Last edited by majaczek; 2012-04-05 at 20:33.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Damascus Syria
hello guys
After I downloaded KP50 I faced charging problem.
Sometimes the charger start charging after 20 seconds after I plug the charger in the device
and sometimes it doesn't charge at all and the same thing happens when using USB.
SO what the problem could be?
Plz Help!

Last edited by AnasSyria; 2012-04-05 at 23:08.

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ portugal
wish mine charged in 20sec too

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by majaczek View Post
Try playing films in different resolutions (my ones doesn't perfectly fit the screen - scalling occur - but all are much smaller than 720p) and different formats (mpeg4, flv, matroska H3623, etc.) and different backends (mafw, mplayer, and perhaps others).
The only format that is guaranteed to play well on the N900 is H.264 Baseline Level 3@800x480.

That means:
No CABAC
No B-Frames
No Weighted P-Frames
8 bit video (10-bit anime will need to be re-encoded)
No Partitions
No Deblocking (?)

If you are using Handbrake, I'd recommend following these settings, plus maxing out the ME, Subpixel ME and Trellis options, to get better video quality at the cost of having ridiculously slow encode times.

EDIT: After reboot (I managed to not brick my device by optifing some boottime essential) under same KP50 i cannot reproduce my problem (all works properly), but I believe it was always-reproducible in the short-term recheck. So it has to be some rare device state which triggerred the bug. I'm perfectly hapy now it works, but I'm curious what was the culprit.
The things happen during the try which catched the bug: Batterry was about 3% full (almost empty), It was long time since last reboot (before it used the 97% it was constantly under charger), I was connected to the network (GPRS i believe i remember), and openNTTPD was running (network clock syncing). I don't remember any other not normal things which happened to the device while I was for short time able to reproduce the bug. It may be some as mysterious bug as race condition. It could be also triggered by some VDD related function which was at not normal state (triggered by almost empty battery, and thus weird battery voltage). Ah one more I remember - after battery died (or player crashed i don't remember) and I recharged It couldn't boot up properly at all. First i thought I bricked the device, but removing the battery and puting back after 3 minutes helped. So indeed device was at weird state.
Sometimes the voltage of the DSP is too low, requiring a reboot or a battery pull.

Originally Posted by AnasSyria View Post
hello guys
After I downloaded KP50 I faced charging problem.
Sometimes the charger start charging after 20 seconds after I plug the charger in the device
and sometimes it doesn't charge at all and the same thing happens when using USB.
SO what the problem could be?
Plz Help!
Potential USB port failure. Refer to this thread.

Last edited by Hurrian; 2012-04-06 at 02:53.

@ majaczek, checked dmesg when ui/video lagging?

I would also like to add that Theora is working fine on N900, and current implementations produce awesome results @ small file sizes. It's currently my codec of choice for all videos stored on N900.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
how do I downgrade to KP49 when I'm using multiboot and KP50 boot image?

Tags
battery test, i <3 fmg, i <3 pali, igottaboner, kernel, kernel-power, viva fmg, viva pali