Active Topics

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I think it's a pity the Jolla doesn't support US 3G/LTE frequencies, even just for Europeans visiting the USA but I can't think of any reason why Jolla would want to be in the US market. It's totally unlike (no pun intended) Europe.

Everyone expects phones to be heavily subsidised and the contract tariffs are set up such that that is the only sensible way to buy a phone. We have call+data monthly rolling contracts in the UK for less than $10 a month now for people who bring their own devices.

Then you've got Apple who will run to the courts as soon as anyone enters the US with something that vaguely might look like one of their 'innovations' and ask for millions and an injunction.

You can see why a small European company would not bother with the USA.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It's not a phone I'd give my mother.

The fact that you've used Linux for at least 6 years shows me that you're at least savvy enough to have ventured outside of the Windows and OS X ecosystems. I know people that's never done that. It's at least a level of savviness that people that's yet to do that have yet to accomplish.
n00b or not, you're still ahead of most of corporate America.
My mum has a Z30 now, but she wanted the Jolla phone instead if only a carrier here would've picked it up. And she's really not tech-savvy at all. She knows how to do simple stuff and that's it. So the fact that she wanted it says a lot about SailfishOS not only being for tinkerers.

The fact that I use Linux for 6 years makes me tech-savvy? Not really. I only use my computer for normal web browsing and stuff. I like it better than I like the Windows and OSX interfaces. So just like with smartphones, it depends on how the GUI works, not on how the internals work. I know very, very little regarding terminal stuff and/or under the hood stuff. I use a nice GUI, a web browser and a few other simple apps and that's it. I still have to ask for help whenever things get a little more tough than that (which is rarely since I only use simple stuff so there's not much to go wrong there).
AmigaOS4 and Linux are the OS's I use. AmigaOS4 is really intuitive and easy to use from the start. You don't need any special knowledge for that in my personal experience. You just boot your Amiga and you start to do your work (web browsing and stuff). With Linux, a bit of reading and asking is good but for normal web browsing and stuff it's just as easy to use in my personal experience.
And don't start with "ahead of corporate America" regarding AmigaOS because corporate America actually used Amigas in the past so I'm on the same level.

I just don't get it. Whenever someone choose Android or BB10 over iOS, I don't hear anyone saying 'oh, you're tech-savvy because you use a different OS than the easy to use iOS and their perfect ecosystem' but when someone dislikes the way Windows GUI works and installs something with a nicer GUI it's 'oh, you're so tech-savvy'. I really am not and don't compare me to corporates, I'm a normal end-user, no corporate user.

Last edited by vistaus; 2014-09-27 at 09:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
And don't start with "ahead of corporate America" regarding AmigaOS because corporate America actually used Amigas in the past so I'm on the same level.
We've headed into OT territory now.

Outside of academia and folks that knew and used Lightwave and Video Toaster, prove this.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
Malayalam Keyboard for Sailfish (Language of Kerala State, India) layout for Jolla phone available to install from OpenRepos.net

https://openrepos.net/content/abyzth...board-sailfish
Notes:
* RPM Installer will restart the GUI
* After install, enable the keyboard in Settings->System->Text Input->Keyboards.
* Press and hold on Spacebar to switch between enabled keyboards

Will be uploading other languages soon.

I suggest you install the Warehouse app from OpenRepos.net first and then you can install all available apps at OpenRepos with ease.

Last edited by abyzthomas; 2014-09-28 at 20:29.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abyzthomas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
Dissappointed with the India sales strategy.
No chance of getting accessories. cant find any decent case or TOH anywhere. hate having a naked white phone that is now dirty.

anyone selling the kiera black toh? or the insmat? here in India..

The Following User Says Thank You to macexplorer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I'm still slightly confused about Indian online pricing. I've read the wikipedia entry at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value-added_tax#India and I'm none the wiser. Perhaps someone from India can comment.
In Europe we usually include sales tax (VAT) in prices online so €349 includes 22% Finnish sales tax. Without tax it's about €290.

In the USA they usually do not include sales tax in pricing.
On the Snapdeal site it says the Jolla is MRP 19,999 and is selling at 18% below that at 16,499. Is it expected to go back up to 19,999?
1) Does the price online include sales tax?
* Yes, Octori extra where applicable.
2) If it does include sales tax, what is the price without sales tax?
* Yes, Minus 12% or 12.5% VAT which depends on state of sell.
3) What is the MRP?
* Maximum Retail Price is the upper price limit of any item and shops can sell at this price or lower than MRP but VAT is applicable on Cash Memo price not MRP.
In India all items have MRP and consumer have option to purchage at lower than MRP and in many cases MRP is just indicative maximum sales price ie: auto spares, Medicines (not all) or many imported items.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
General income is really low in india so the phone should be even cheaper. Just check bigmac index or iPad index...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchasing_power_parity
Not really a must thing just see what is BlackBerry Passport (Black) price:
http://www.amazon.in/BlackBerry-Pass...berry+passport
Pricing depends on many factors yes income is valid point but it also considers who are target customers.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by DieHard View Post
2) If it does include sales tax, what is the price without sales tax?
* Yes, Minus 12% or 12.5% VAT which depends on state of sell.
Thanks. So the actual price is equivalent to €187 approx making it about €100 cheaper than in Finland excluding sales tax in both countries.

According to Snapdeal, the Jolla is currently their 105th best selling smartphone. I can't say that augurs terribly well given that it is promoted in the first line (top 4) of "most popular", which is also the default filter on the smartphone page.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2014-09-30 at 20:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
According to Snapdeal, the Jolla is currently their 105th best selling smartphone. I can't say that augurs terribly well given that it is promoted in the first line (top 4) of "most popular", which is also the default filter on the smartphone page.
Best selling for which period ? Each day ? Last week ? Last month ? All the past ? As Jolla sales in India are from 23/09, just one week, this ranking, 105th, could mean different things depending on the period.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post: