Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
Originally Posted by matthew maude View Post
how did you put the file in the home directory? i think you're getting mixed up somewhere if you open up xtern you can't just cd to home you have to type 'cd ..' to go to home

if you open up your gallery, find the image you want to rename, hold your finger on it and select details, then scroll down and make a note of its name - it will be numbers/date by default
open xterm and run

cd MyDocs/DCIM
mv filename newfilename

if you you get an error you've either typed the name wrong or its not there
run

ls

to list all the files that are there
THANKS! for all the info.sorry to all if my thread is stupid.also ur method did te job. also i found that my filemanager is not shoing the name that i have changed .but other file manager(cute explorer)shows the right name which i have changed.THANKS ANGIN!cheers

thanks all! now plz bare with me for a little more.can any of you tell me how to rename a file which has two words in it name like "hello world" there is a space between them.now i can rename a file which has one word and when i try to rename file like "hello world"(for this i type)

"mv hello world newfilename"then enter and it says

"mv:cannot rename'hello': no such file or directory
mv:cannot rename 'world': no such name or directory"

also if could tell how to gain access to the memory card (external)using x terminal.i mean what command is to go there? like to access to camera images they are usually in "MyDocs/DCIM"

so where is my memory card??

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Halifax, UK
the fle manager might need restarting,
if there's a space its

mv hello\ world.jpg file\ name2

The Following User Says Thank You to matthew maude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by nicholes View Post
[...]
also if could tell how to gain access to the memory card (external)using x terminal.i mean what command is to go there? like to access to camera images they are usually in "MyDocs/DCIM"

so where is my memory card??
Media card is at /media/mmc1

Note that the first / is important too
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Originally Posted by mece View Post
Media card is at /media/mmc1

Note that the first / is important too
another small problemi could not access media it says

"-sh : /media ermission denied"

and i have installed rootsh on n900

what do i do to go into memory card now???

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
only one suggestion comes to my mind: do not even try getting root with your knowledge!

and please put full copypaste from terminal to here and we know what you are talking about (the commands you typed etc)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

(after 2 days of xperians)with n900.i found >>i might be making some typing mistake or there is some problem in my device. i can go into memery card now ..sorry to all to ask stupid qution and wasting ur time..

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
only one suggestion comes to my mind: do not even try getting root with your knowledge!
That and maybe he should read some beginners literature.

Quick search I found this one
http://www.linuxcommand.org/lts0020.php
although the directories are a bit different on N900.
;-)

Maybe others can point him to other beginners guides?

The Following User Says Thank You to PMaff For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
*Sigh*

First off, there is no "camera" folder that I know of. There is a "DCIM" folder, which, in the normal file manager, shows up as "Camera" - but point is it's still called DCIM. If you just open X-Term and type "cd camera", you will get an error.

-sh: cd: can't cd to camera

So IF you did "cd camera" and "succeeed", you were either in some folder that shouldn't exist, in a folder you made yourself (makes sense), or you typed a different command than literally "cd camera" - in which case don't put it in quotes, because that's misleading.

Anyway, when you open x-term, you start in the ~ directory. This is actually a symbol used in most Unix-derivative OS shells for /home/user/ - what you see in your file manager is one folder above that: /home/user/MyDocs . Now, I'm assuming, based on what little information you left, that you want to go to the folder where the camera saves pictures. So when you open X-Term, type "cd MyDocs/DCIM". Then do the mv [filename1] [filename2] command. If the file you're using is a .jpg, then make sure to include that at the end of the name, both the original and the renamed file.

Honestly, though, I would recommend you go download a few of the other available file managers and test those out. They let you go through more of the file system without having to go through X-Term. If you really want to learn the X-Term way go for it, but you'll probably find the actual GUI program way much easier.
i want to rename this : /usr/share/applications/hildon/xmoto.desktop1 to : /usr/share/applications/hildon/xmoto.desktop

i did as u said bt its is sayin

mv: cannot rename 'xmoto.desktop1': permission denied

what should i do its urgent !!!!!!

actually i installed "Appslocker" and i was not knowing it will hide all folder i marked "application manager" , "settings" , "backup" ,"file manager" , "filebox" ," mediabox" , games & By mistake i marked the appslocker tooo so all files got hidden no way to bring it back this all file will only come back when i change the "xmoto.desktop1" to "xmoto.desktop" of each file hidden the only way left was Xterminal bt now m loosing my hope ... i can neither install any application as application manager is lock tooo nor i can use any such program to rename Please please please Help!Help!Help

Originally Posted by rockey_rock5 View Post
i want to rename this : /usr/share/applications/hildon/xmoto.desktop1 to : /usr/share/applications/hildon/xmoto.desktop

i did as u said bt its is sayin

mv: cannot rename 'xmoto.desktop1': permission denied

what should i do its urgent !!!!!!

actually i installed "Appslocker" and i was not knowing it will hide all folder i marked "application manager" , "settings" , "backup" ,"file manager" , "filebox" ," mediabox" , games & By mistake i marked the appslocker tooo so all files got hidden no way to bring it back this all file will only come back when i change the "xmoto.desktop1" to "xmoto.desktop" of each file hidden the only way left was Xterminal bt now m loosing my hope ... i can neither install any application as application manager is lock tooo nor i can use any such program to rename Please please please Help!Help!Help
install rootsh or other methods to login as root
use extra caution while in the root mode though