Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Judging by the number of posters (and thanks) in this thread, either no one knows the answer or everyone except me does and thinks I am trolling. Please let me reassure you that my two questions in the first post are absolutely genuine. Can anyone please tell me HOW to select some text in the Jolla browser - any browser, not just stock - for copying and changing formatting? For the time being, I have been editing the BBC tags by hand. I kid you not.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
And me, too.

There is a patch for selecting and copying from 'normal' web site, but not in text/edit fields.
And let me repeat: the normal user needs to apply a patch to system files (made by enthusiast)!

Would love to know but I assume there is just not such 'high-sophisticated' input possibility?
Great stuff, NOT

Can anybody imagine using a tablet without such functionality?
And I am not talking about system-wide c/p ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2015-01-29 at 23:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Another thing I would like to know. How can I search a thread on TMO on a Jolla? When I tap on Search this Thread at the top of this page, a window pops up where one would normally type the search term but when I tap in there, the window disappears but the vkb stays. Where the keys go is a mystery. This behaviour is consistent in the stock browser and in Webcat.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Again consistent in the line of bugs from grob (N9 browser). But there you could at least search after clicking again into search field after it disappeared (annoying but working).

I wonder how many [bad] code they borrowed
from MeeGo?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Again consistent in the line of bugs from grob (N9 browser). But there you could at least search after clicking again into search field after it disappeared (annoying but working).

I wonder how many [bad] code they borrowed
from MeeGo?
Stock harmattan browser is closed source. There is no way of borrowing bad code without laying your hands on the source code. It's highly unlikely that in process of reverse engineering same bugs have been reproduced. Sailfish browser is actually much more similar to microb, atleast in terms of its internal structure and components used.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Can anyone please tell me HOW to select some text in the Jolla browser - any browser, not just stock - for copying and changing formatting?
Looked at Jolla native browser: Could not find any way to select Text.

Webcat:
1) Use a LONG press on a piece of text
Result 1) Text gets sort of highlighted with a blue border. This selection is copied to the clipboard and can be pasted where you want it.

2) Tap the highlighted text.
Result 2) Highlighted text gets displayed in a separate window. You have the option Copy or Cancel.

3) Tap on the text.
Result 3) The window the text is shown in activates (keyboard appears).

4) Long press a word and expand the highlighted parts at will and select the option Copy.
Result 4) BUG: The selected words should be copied to the clipboard which you can use to paste where you want it.
However the Copy option does not function correctly in this instance. It only works the first time you use it during a Webcat session.

Webpirate:
Basically the same steps except the Copy function does work!
1) Use a LONG press on a piece of text
Result 1) Text block gets displayed in a separate window. You have the option Cancel or Done. Nothing is copied to the clipboard yet.

2) Tap on the text.
Result 2) The window the text is shown in activates.

3) Long press a word and expand the highlighted parts at will and select the option Done.
Result 3) You have copied the selected words to the clipboard which you can use to paste where you want it.

Have not looked at text formating yet but I hope this helps.
Regards n900user259

Last edited by n900user259; 2015-03-06 at 20:51. Reason: Updated with info supplied by llelectronics

Ok better discuss the webcat issue here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92356&page=26

Donate using Liberapay

Last edited by llelectronics; 2015-03-06 at 17:06.