I agree the wiki does need a lot of work. It's as if someone took a comprehensive reference book, removed 99% of the content at random, and tried to recreate the book from whatever's left.

The wiki is a great idea with occasionally great content, but no one seems to be in charge of the index itself.

Before making any changes someone needs to decide the wiki's intended audience. Is it experienced users, or moderately experienced users, or clueless newbies, or everyone? Whatever the audience is, the index needs to be built round their needs.

At the moment I just can't imagine newbies getting any benefit from it, partly because it doesn't seem to contain any newbie-friendly information, and partly because the wiki's useful content is buried in amongst very unuseful content.

Far too much of it talks about the 770 without discussing the N800 or N810. It's particularly bad when the title sounds general but the tutorial turns out to be 770-specific:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...a_a_Windows_PC

There are also very disappointing totally empty stub pages like this which get your hopes up only to dash them:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...lar%29_and_DUN

The section titles are also misleading, for example the "beginner's guide" just leads to two articles, neither of which are any use to most newbies:

* Easiest way to install applications on 770 (using Repositories)
* Better search method for Internet Tablet Talk site using Google

There also aren't any apparent criteria for what counts as content at all.

Some of the index goes to blank pages, some redirects to forum threads, some to third party sites, some doesn't really explain anything. Some pages like this:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...via_a_Linux_PC

...are just pleas for help, not help itself. What is this page even doing in the wiki?

I don't dare do this myself, but it might be better to strip away things that are clearly no use at all to anyone (such as the link above), and start building the wiki from the ground up entirely out of articles that you know ARE going to be genuinely useful to someone.

It would make the index page look bare, but it would make the index page intuitive and the useful content would become easily accessible.

I know people will say "why don't you quit whining and improve the wiki yourself", but I'm already spending a large chunk of my time doing the Tablet School site and videos, and I honestly don't have the time to do wiki stuff as well.

Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
Just like we have the thanks button, could we not also have a "for the wiki' button on forum posts? These postings would then get tagged to go to the wiki.
I'm not a legal expert but that may cause copyright problems, at least in theory, if you take something someone's written and then publish it unchanged without their permission under a new licence. It might be better to PM the author of a good post and ask if it's okay to put that in the wiki.

Last edited by krisse; 2008-02-07 at 22:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
apologies for posting in such a old thread. I think its better to post in a old thread instead of creating another one. If needed i will create one.

What i want to say that links on Updating the Firmware wiki page are outdated and no longer work (talking about N900 links). There are many direct links available with which we can change the dead links. and it will be much easier for the users to download firmware files direct from wiki page instead of creating a thread everytime they encounter a problem with links.

I wanted to edit the wiki page but don't know how to do it. Can we update the links and its legal to put other external links ?

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
We are not allowed to distribute those files, sadly...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
Distributing and linking are two different things (usually).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
If we can't add direct links to wiki page atleast we can create a thread and place all links in it. And put that thread link in wiki. Nokia or Microsoft don't care about these firmware files anymore. There atleast should be a way for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
The firmware files are available on the nokia ftp site - the thing is without flasher useless and that is what we are not allowed to keep alive on maemo.org soil. I have no problem with linking to it, but we are not allowed to host/distribute any of this. Linking to original Nokia ftp is completely fine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post: