Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
bla...bla...rpm has some advantages over deb as well as deb has some advantages over rpm...your point is mute as one is not overall better then the other and claiming it is would be simply a bulls.h.i.t
this comes purely to personal choice and needs
Yours comment is just an opinion, mine was technically argued reasons why rpm is better and why deb-based distributions should transfer to rpm-system and not other way.

For mobile systems having deltarpm-packages and transactions is a huge advantage. And the practical security flaw in the deb-system is really serious potential risk to whole Linux ecosystem (even developers fall to the hole).

As I said, I use both systems daily Fedora and Ubuntu, and I can find all features deb have in rpm, but there is many IMO nowadays essential features in rpm which are not in deb.

(It often comes as an obvious shock to many Ubuntu/Debian users who rightfully (?) think themselves as experts in Linux, that rpm has those features over deb. Also oldtimers keep reminding that some 15 years ago rpm had dependency problems, when every system was just practising complex dependency issues.)

Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
What kind of problems with 8 GB USB? With LiLi?

And are you trying (wanting) to use 32 bit OS in a 64 bit system with more than 4 GB RAM memory? If, I would recommend to try 64-bit OS instead, also in LiveUSB-system.
Yep, that's the mostly the prob. Sussed it out but not got back to getting any further with it yet.

So what particular OS would you recommend- bearing in mind the 'for beginner' bit?

Originally Posted by dumpystig View Post
Yep, that's the mostly the prob. Sussed it out but not got back to getting any further with it yet.

So what particular OS would you recommend- bearing in mind the 'for beginner' bit?
I'd still recommend to try Fedora 16, and if you have 64-bit system and more than 4 GB RAM, then 64-bit Fedora 16.

https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

If you have 8 GB USB-stick/drive, then reserve even 2 GB of persistent space, even it is "just" a LiveUSB-system you are going to try. Then first things after booting the first time, install rpmfusion-repository to get all features Fedora-system provides.

To install access to RPM Fusion repositories, surf with Firefox to this page:
http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration
And click+install "RPM Fusion free for 16" and same with "RPM Fusion nonfree for 16".

Then you may want to upgrade to the latest versions of software or install extra software.
The GUI software package handler and software updater are found in:
Activities > Applications > System_Tools > Software_Update

(These additional packages and features are not usually installed to Live-Linux system, so something may be possible only when Linux is really installed on the system. I haven't tried with Live-Fedora so much.)

And Fedora specific help is found in:
http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-help
and
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/

http://smashingweb.ge6.org/fedora-16...rfect-desktop/
has some tips what do to after Fedora 16 installation, but some of them I do not agree (like turning system to SElinux permissive type).

You (OP) wanted "for beginner" and I have succesfully installed Fedora system to some of my elder relatives and they have been happy.

Although Fedora is said to be "bleeding" edge, having the newest hardware and software support, and therefore "unstable", I have noticed it is really not so. (the really "bleeding edge" code goes to rawhide-repositories)

For using CLI to package manager (yum and rpm), and if used to Ubuntu/Debian/N900 apt-tools (apt and dpkg), then see this conversion reference table:
http://wiki.openvz.org/Package_managers

Last edited by zimon; 2012-05-20 at 18:31.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Is it now possible to flash the N900 from Fedora16, as it was one of the things that made me abandon Fedora15, the slowness of yum, yumex or packagekit among the worst things.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Yours comment is just an opinion, mine was technically argued reasons why rpm is better and why deb-based distributions should transfer to rpm-system and not other way.

For mobile systems having deltarpm-packages and transactions is a huge advantage. And the practical security flaw in the deb-system is really serious potential risk to whole Linux ecosystem (even developers fall to the hole).

As I said, I use both systems daily Fedora and Ubuntu, and I can find all features deb have in rpm, but there is many IMO nowadays essential features in rpm which are not in deb.

(It often comes as an obvious shock to many Ubuntu/Debian users who rightfully (?) think themselves as experts in Linux, that rpm has those features over deb. Also oldtimers keep reminding that some 15 years ago rpm had dependency problems, when every system was just practising complex dependency issues.)
a) it is better in SOME things, not nearly everything, as deb is also better in some things also
b)those things are esential in YOUR opinion, the FACT is that RPM is NOT OVERALL better than deb as both have advantages and flaws and you MUST agnolige this

you think that everyone should use rpm, and that is your opinion but is not a fact and you cant present(or force like you are trying now) it as such

and btw, everyone should use portage, so neither deb or rpm

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-05-13 at 17:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
Is it now possible to flash the N900 from Fedora16, as it was one of the things that made me abandon Fedora15, the slowness of yum, yumex or packagekit among the worst things.
I have noticed Fedora is much MUCH faster in upgrades than Ubuntu, because Fedora uses deltarpm differential packages nowadays.

Also the need for separate "apt-get update" is frustrating, rpm does not have that extra stage.

So I wonder where your comment of "slowness" comes from.

I have flashed N900 from Fedora long time. I have installed it from the tarball.
I do not know when it came available but at least now:
Code:
# yum search flasher
=============================
0xFFFF.x86_64 : The Open Free Fiasco Firmware Flasher
http://nopcode.org/0xFFFF/

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
I have noticed Fedora is much MUCH faster in upgrades than Ubuntu, because Fedora uses deltarpm differential packages nowadays.

Also the need for separate "apt-get update" is frustrating, rpm does not have that extra stage.

So I wonder where your comment of "slowness" comes from.

I have flashed N900 from Fedora long time. I have installed it from the tarball.
I do not know when it came available but at least now:
Code:
# yum search flasher
=============================
0xFFFF.x86_64 : The Open Free Fiasco Firmware Flasher
http://nopcode.org/0xFFFF/
I was aware of this open flasher alternative in Fedora15, but i never dared to try...
I do not remember the error message, if anything else than 'Waiting for device' message, but neither 64-bit workstation, nor 32-bit notebook were able to pick up the N900 in flashing mode for the firmware. Had to use debian-based Live-CD for that.
Though you compare apples and nokias, or was it peaches, there is one command less for yum, i must admit deeply impressed.

Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
OK, now installing Fedora-16-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso via fedora Live USB Creator onto a SanDisk Cruzer Blade 8GB USB drive.

I will give this a run to test the water and see what I think. Presumably some of the previous contributors will disagree with this particular choice of Linux but I've got to start somewhere.
I'm still open to suggestions but remember this thread is about choices for beginners - so please don't respond with all the tech details and arguments as it's all way over my head at this stage.

Also this thread could be of future benefit to others in the same position as I am right now.

Anyway, thanks for all the contributions so far.

Now it's time for me to get wet

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
I am a fairly new linux user too.

I tried 3 fairly big distros. First of all I tried ubuntu but I didn't like it at all, too much crap installed what I won't use. I just didn't like t since they introduced unity. Then I tried fedora too but I couldn't get my wireless working.

Arch seems a really nice distro but I tried to configure in VM before trying in real, because is it more of an advanced distro.

Then I just installed openSuSe and I am loving it so far! I like KDE more than Gnome, I found out. Really can recommend it to you but what's said before. Just try all out

For a beginner I would say: Ubuntu, Fedora, openSuse. Just try them all out... If you don't like something just take the next, theres plenty of choice.

Last edited by mr_pingu; 2012-05-13 at 20:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Originally Posted by dumpystig View Post
I will give this a run to test the water and see what I think. Presumably some of the previous contributors will disagree with this particular choice of Linux but I've got to start somewhere.
Don't worry about it. What you are doing is the only way to make the right choice. Try out and mess around with different distros and don't be scared of breaking them.

People can be quite emotional about their own choice of Linux, but in the end we're just all one family. What fits one person doesn't fit the next one and that's why it's great to have many distros to choose from.

http://futurist.se/gldt/wp-content/u...2/gldt1202.png

I ended up with Debian. Mainly because I can identify with much of it's community values and philosophy, which also meant that it fit my practical needs.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladoga For This Useful Post: