Active Topics

I have the same trouble, it seems to be a hw issue, but I don't know how to detach the connector to soldier it again, when I saw the connector all parts are too small. I'll try anyway.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
I WAS having this kind of issue, I thought USB port was loosen, but then I checked it carefully with a lamp and found it had some fuzz in the background, I took it out with a pin, and now it works like a charm, no loosen USB-Port, so no dangerous repair...
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

The Following User Says Thank You to strange1712 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by strange1712 View Post
I WAS having this kind of issue, I thought USB port was loosen, but then I checked it carefully with a lamp and found it had some fuzz in the background, I took it out with a pin, and now it works like a charm, no loosen USB-Port, so no dangerous repair...
Really???,I was very concerned about how to remove the USB port, and had already tried to remove dust or dirt with a toothbrush and it worked for a couple of hours, even I have it disassembled and the USB port is fixed, not noticing loose.

I'll try again yeaph,

Edit:
It works! for just one time, but again is not charging, go back to clean again the port

Last edited by Alejandro; 2012-02-17 at 02:04.

It's falling again, is not charging anymore, I guess the USB port is loose, but How fix it?

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
Sorry, I guess you will have to re-soldier it... there are a couple threads about fixing USB... but it looks risky...
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

The Following User Says Thank You to strange1712 For This Useful Post:
hello i think u can help me in this matter last night i just try to restore my n900 from backup back it stuck and not its just showing orange led and dim nokia logo, i tried to falsh it on xp but its waiting for usb
so kindly please help me in this matter i love this phone

Wellcome, in my case I still trying to fix if, but I find somethings really stranges, I check with a voltimeter and everythings looks fine, just right now it's charging again after one month of keep trying

well I found a workaround and only to charge, at least in my n900 I cross the data1 and data2 in the usb

I have a similar issue (but I got lucky, because the battery was not fully discharged so it was capable of booting up the device despite of low battery signals): when I connect the charger to N900 in it's powered off state, the LED blinks orange, and the Nokia logo shows up followed by the "knight rider lights" on the screen but at this point the boot process intervented and the phone shuts off itself. After a few seconds it tries to boot again, but this time the usb symbol is on the screen. "Knight rider" comes again, and the phone shuts off finally. Same issue with manual (by the power button) powering up.

Charging from a PC / laptop works fine.

But there is an interesting part: if I take off the battery for a second and put it back and powering up the phone without a charger connected, it powers on flawlessly. And when the OS is running I connect the charger it charges correctly (I hear the whistling noise from the usb adaptor, which means to me "it's charging correctly on high current".).

I cleaned the usb port contacts by pressed air and a tootbrush, but no success.

Last edited by img; 2012-06-13 at 04:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to img For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by img View Post
I have a similar issue (but I got lucky, because the battery was not fully discharged so it was capable of booting up the device despite of low battery signals): when I connect the charger to N900 in it's powered off state, the LED blinks orange, and the Nokia logo shows up followed by the "knight rider lights" on the screen but at this point the boot process intervented and the phone shuts off itself. After a few seconds it tries to boot again, but this time the usb symbol is on the screen. "Knight rider" comes again, and the phone shuts off finally. Same issue with manual (by the power button) powering up.

Charging from a PC / laptop works fine.

But there is an interesting part: if I take off the battery for a second and put it back and powering up the phone without a charger connected, it powers on flawlessly. And when the OS is running I connect the charger it charges correctly (I hear the whistling noise from the usb adaptor, which means to me "it's charging correctly on high current".).

I cleaned the usb port contacts by pressed air and a tootbrush, but no success.
if it is charging when powered up, it is obviously not mechanical or electrical thus cleaning the USB shouldn't make a difference.
but it is always nice to clean things
try to take out the battery for 6 to 12 hrs.
this way, the N900 will go completely blank as far as circuitry is concerned & start like a new device.
your Maemo & apps will remain safely stored even though you will have to reenter time, date & regional info.
after you put battery back in, simply connect the pwr supply & see what happens...
good luck!