Active Topics

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
I'm still on the fence about the n800 and I was wondering if the new firmware has addressed the issue of tethering to a non-DUN profile phone like the T-mobile Dash or the Cingular Blackjack since they use the PAN profile. I've figured out how to hack it on the n770 but from my understanding, there are significant changes so that the hack is moot on OS2007. Anyone know?

Yes, I do. I have an HTC S620 (aka: T-Mobile Dash), which is the device _I_ was on the fence about getting, as I already had my N800 and love it. Technically, it is possible to tether the N800 to the Dash, but I haven't made it pretty yet. Essentially...

1) Do once; create "dummy" AP to connect to
2) Start "Internet connection sharing" on the Dash
3) run "pand -c xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" to connect to the PAN AP
4) either "udhcpc -i bnep0" or statically assign an IP to the bnep0 NIC, and set a default GW
5) ensure valid DNS in some fashion
6) Enjoy!

There are apparently ways to get this process into the GUI, but I haven't done them yet. It definitely would be nice if you could just use DUN like normal phones.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Thanks! You should submit a bug onto buzilla and maybe they'll fix it.

I've submitted one for the 770 but I doubt they'll fix it.

https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1195

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by mlindholm View Post
Yes, I do. I have an HTC S620 (aka: T-Mobile Dash), which is the device _I_ was on the fence about getting, as I already had my N800 and love it. Technically, it is possible to tether the N800 to the Dash, but I haven't made it pretty yet. Essentially...

1) Do once; create "dummy" AP to connect to
2) Start "Internet connection sharing" on the Dash
3) run "pand -c xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" to connect to the PAN AP
4) either "udhcpc -i bnep0" or statically assign an IP to the bnep0 NIC, and set a default GW
5) ensure valid DNS in some fashion
6) Enjoy!

There are apparently ways to get this process into the GUI, but I haven't done them yet. It definitely would be nice if you could just use DUN like normal phones.
Hm. My N800 doesn't have udhcpc on it ... do you know where I'd find it? Or, do you know what network range/mask/etc. is appropriate to assign statically? And what the default GW is?

and, for the pand command, what are the x's supposed to be? literals? your WLAN mac address (from the label inside the back panel of the N800)? Something you get from the Dash? Something else?

(I'm choosing between a Dash, a Pearl, or a Nokia 6086 .... the 6086 is a lot cheaper, but I don't want to aim too low and wish I had gotten more later; but, from the things said about the Dash and Pearl on these boards, it almost sounds like the 6086 is going to be the least painful one, as well)

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
johnkzin: /sbin/udhcpc

Needs root execute privs.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Yeah, I realized about an hour later, when trying to find something else, that I didn't have /sbin in my path ... so then I felt incredibly stupid.... it's not like I've been using unix for 21 years or something ;-)

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Hm. My N800 doesn't have udhcpc on it ... do you know where I'd find it? Or, do you know what network range/mask/etc. is appropriate to assign statically? And what the default GW is?

and, for the pand command, what are the x's supposed to be? literals? [...] Something you get from the Dash?

(I'm choosing between a Dash, a Pearl, or a Nokia 6086 .... the 6086 is a lot cheaper, but I don't want to aim too low and wish I had gotten more later
Unfortunatly I don't follow this board too closely, and since I wrote that I've installed the July update to OS2007. When this wiped the memory, it helped me realize I had a non-standard setup. I had been running Privoxy previously (to filter ads, etc), and had my web browser pointed to that, rather than connecting directly to the net. For some reason, CLI based programs (ssh, privoxy, etc) get out just fine once you make the connection, but all the GUI programs won't work unless the Connection Manager is connected to something.

It sounds like you figured out the udhcp part; for static configuration it depends on what your device gives out. My HTC S620/Dash gives out 192.168.0.1/24, so that's the gateway I put in.

The pand command uses the MAC of the bluetooth access point that I'm connecting to, which you can use if you know it, or use -Q to scan IIRC.

It's coming up on a year now that I've had my N800, and almost as long that I've had my S620. There's a lot of times there I wish I had a device that used DUN rather than BT PAN support, but many other times I was glad to have the capabilities the smartphone gave me over a phone only device.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ California
i actually just wrote a script to automate this.. well connecting to an at&t blackjack, i dunno why it would be different for anything else.. you

just install the deb,
run the program now in extras.. (it will create the dummy AP)
it will tell you to connect to the newly created AP
then run the program and it'll tell you whats going on while it connects

i just need a place to host it.. its like 12kb i think.. written in ruby.. doesnt need you to do anything but run it.. os2007 tested.. havent messed with os2008 yet

if anyone's interested in hosting the deb package for me.. email me at thetruent@gmail.com... either that or hopefully garage comes back up by tonight..

depends are libruby1.8,ruby1.8,ruby1.8-maemo,becomeroot

http://maemo.rubyx.co.uk/ruby-maemo/.../maemo3/armel/

I have DL the packages , but i recieve an error when installing them, any of them. is there a base package for ruby i need to install?

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ California
when you open the deb, and the application manager starts up, goto details and see what the deal is, or let us know what the output is exactly.. it should tell you somewhere what's needed.. you might just be installing them in the wrong order or something.. i dunno if i used this .install or not.. but you can try it..

http://maemo.rubyx.co.uk/ruby-maemo/...-maemo.install