Poll: I would describe myself as:
Poll Options
I would describe myself as:

Closed Thread
Looking through lists of applications for mobiles (on various programmes) I am often slightly surprised to see a fair number of scripture type apps on offer, and they often seem to be quite popular too.

To me, the type of person that is likely to be into computers and geek stuff seems unlikely to be the religious type. Firstly, you expect geek types (and I don't use the term "geek" pejoratively) to be quite into science and rational thought and all that. Secondly (and maybe I am making too many assumptions here) you expect them to be relatively young (mainly under 40 say) and again, I tend to expect religious types to be older rather than younger (having grown up in a time where religion was much more strongly tied into everyday life than it is now).

So for these reasons I'm always a little surprised, but I have generally assumed it is to be explained by the large number of people in the United States. I'm aware that religiosity remains rather more prevalent there (especially among younger people) than it does in most of Western Europe.

But I do notice some apps in the Maemo repository - for both Christian and Islamic scriptures - that seem to be quite popular. Yet I thought that Nokia and Maemo were virtually unheard of in the States and so I assume most Maemo users are European.

So anyway, I have made this poll out of curiosity.

Religion is the work of the devil!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Religion has been banned as a topic in the Infinite Wisdom of Our Creator.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
Voted. Anyway, I think this thread will be closed soon. Religion and Politics dont go well with technical forums, including Maemo Talk, even if you have good intentions

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think there's plenty of wisdom to be found, as long as you don't take them all literally...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

when it comes to religion, I personally see two different types of people:

people who are religous, and people are are spiritual.

(I believe) You can have a close relationship to God without having to go to church. I think as long as you try to follow what the good book says, pray routinely (in your car on the way to work every morning), you should be A O K ! Just thank him for what you have (your N900 for example, or your job, or family)

Being religous is just going through the actions, like those catholics who judge everyone, touting how great of a devout catholic they are. People like this are religous people, but they are by no means good people, or very spiritual. They are just as bad (I believe) as people who have no morals at all!

I think these apps are good for people who are spiritual, who just want some wise words every now and again. I would love one that pops one up after every phone call, or only upon phone start. a nugget of wisdom from the good book.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by col37400 View Post
To me, the type of person that is likely to be into computers and geek stuff seems unlikely to be the religious type. Firstly, you expect geek types (and I don't use the term "geek" pejoratively) to be quite into science and rational thought and all that. Secondly (and maybe I am making too many assumptions here) you expect them to be relatively young (mainly under 40 say) and again, I tend to expect religious types to be older rather than younger (having grown up in a time where religion was much more strongly tied into everyday life than it is now).
I am 22, VERY interested in science and rational thought and VERY religious.

At the end of the day the more you know the more you realize just how ignorant you really are.

Anyway I voted.

flying spaghetti monster ftw

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by roger_27 View Post
when it comes to religion, I personally see two different types of people:

people who are religous, and people are are spiritual.

(I believe) You can have a close relationship to God without having to go to church. I think as long as you try to follow what the good book says, pray routinely (in your car on the way to work every morning), you should be A O K ! Just thank him for what you have (your N900 for example, or your job, or family)

Being religous is just going through the actions, like those catholics who judge everyone, touting how great of a devout catholic they are. People like this are religous people, but they are by no means good people, or very spiritual. They are just as bad (I believe) as people who have no morals at all!

I think these apps are good for people who are spiritual, who just want some wise words every now and again. I would love one that pops one up after every phone call, or only upon phone start. a nugget of wisdom from the good book.
Pot says to kettle, "You're black?"

Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Pot says to kettle, "You're black?"

hahaha, I guess I should have say "supposedly devotee religous phsycos" instead of straight out pointed out catholics, you're right. ah well. I admit I am wrong, and ask forgiveness for it!

Closed Thread