Active Topics

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jmk View Post
Xorg and Hildon-desktop is still eating most of the cpu. Is there anything that you could do? Does disabling xorg logging help anything.. probably not.

After pr1.2 uptimes are 2x worse.
No. Your system is somehow broken. Maybe because of installed stuff from testing, devel or any other place outside of maemo.org extras and ovi store. Do you have any widgets on your desktops? What have you installed. List apps with maemo-list-user-packages command and if you want to list them in sorted by category format then use command maemo-list-user-packages | sort -k 3,3

If you have installed stuff that is recommended only for testing purpose I advise to just reflash or learn to debug system.

Last edited by slender; 2011-03-01 at 10:23.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by slender View Post
No. Your system is somehow broken. Maybe because of installed stuff from testing, devel or any other place outside of maemo.org extras and ovi store. Do you have any widgets on your desktops? What have you installed. List apps with maemo-list-user-packages command and if you want to list them in sorted format then use command maemo-list-user-packages | sort -k 3,3

If you have installed stuff that is recommended only for testing purpose I advise to just reflash or learn to debug system.
I have very few carefully chosen apps installed. 0 widgets active on desktops (2)

But check this out:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10412#c38

http://maemo.gitorious.org/fremantle...20a5a46ec3f10e

Could somebody compile latest version of Hildon-desktop? Cannot really understand the Nokia FW policy. Why dont they just release hot fixes... for example in extras-devel.

Last edited by jmk; 2010-09-09 at 16:32.

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by jmk View Post
But check this out:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10412#c38

http://maemo.gitorious.org/fremantle...20a5a46ec3f10e

Could somebody compile latest version of Hildon-desktop? Cannot really understand the Nokia FW policy. Why dont they just release hot fixes... for example in extras-devel.
As far as I know this bug in hildon-desktop only happens if
you use submenus for the application menu (categorise or AppMeFo).

And someone has compiled the latest version of Hildon-Desktop.

The Following User Says Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
yesterday my desktop froze. it didnt really froze, i could still switch desktops, but the icons wouldnt react when clicked.

i checked the processes and xorg was taking a lot of cpu. so i killed xorg.... and my device shut down and rebooted!

The Following User Says Thank You to msa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by msa View Post
... and my device shut down and rebooted!
no **** sherlock?!?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ netherlands
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
So last night I was playing around with the advanced-power-monitor, trying to get it to work, and while I had uninstalled the package, and rebooted, I had left my phone charging all night, went into work, and 2 and a half hours into the day, my phone gives that whimpering beep of a low battery. I was thinking "wtf?" So I looked and sure enough, it was this issue with Xorg being at 95% and more.

The cleanest solution is to open xterm and type
Code:
sudo dpkg -P advanced-power-monitor
That should purge all files from the advanced-power-monitor.

If you still have advanced-power, you may want to run it on that as well.

The -P option is to purge all extra files. For some reason the post remove script isn't removing the /etc/event.d/apmonitord. Purge does though.

I did have to reboot afterward as well.

slaapliedje
Hello, after the command i get a passwordrequest but can't type anything, how does this work please, thank you.
mariodew (m double u)

You need sudser first.
Or get gainroot, type "sudo gainroot", then remove the sudo from that command.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
m double u: It does let you type stuff, it just doesn't show you that it's taking your typing. It's like when you use OpenSSH from command-line and the thing you're connecting to asks for a password - you can type the password, but you will not see it, in x-term. Basically, most applications that I know of, when they give you a password prompt in X-Terminal, don't show what you're typing. You just have to hope you didn't double-enter some key, or didn't accidentally shift/fn it into a different character.

ossipena, some of your other posts around here are great, but you're just being a dick in that last one. Oh yes, it's totally obvious to every user who might otherwise be generally intelligent and able to use the N900's X-Term to use the device, that xorg happens to be a system critical process of the sort that would force a device reboot.

I can even understand saying "no **** sherlock", because of the way the poster you were replying to said their device rebooted, and because yes, if you know Linux, or even just what xorg is, you can probably guess it's important. If you've ran a command to view system processes enough, you can also notice xorg constantly there. But just saying, essentially, that the replied-to-poster was an idiot for not knowing something "obvious", is, frankly, asinine. If you feel the need to express that, go for it, it's more than understandable. But be decent enough to say WHY this happened and what xorg actually does.

You might know, I might know, but every other reader of this won't, and I guarantee you, this is NOT something that is easily discovered by simply searching for "xorg" in google. (On the other hand, he could have probably found it on this forum, but still, the search is hardly that great at turning up relevant results.)

Originally Posted by superjunior View Post
Manually remove /etc/event.d/apmonitord and reboot / kill the xserver.

Thats it.
I did this , now my battery icon is WHITE , not percentage , no charging indicator .

I installed advanced-power after deleting that file , not i can't uninstall it , and i can't start apmonitord to check my battery level !!!