Active Topics

Notices

I've just started sniffing the TCP data that the web page exchanges with the Google servers, as it would be better to have a daemon (or at least a non-web browser app) to provide position updates from time to time (allowing the user to set the interval, etc.)

I see it returns the information about my Latitude-enabled contacts as a JSON message, though I've not worked out the exact format yet, nor where the page is uploading my position info to the Google server.

If you're more familiar with how HTML works than I am do please have a look at the comms (and you can open the above mentioned pages in a desktop browser, just make sure you haves some sort of location plugin available. E.g. Gears or the W3C geolocation one for Firefox, the latter being preferable as it's the one we use on our devices)

Last edited by lardman; 2009-12-09 at 22:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
I've just started sniffing the TCP data that the web page exchanges with the Google servers, as it would be better to have a daemon (or at least a non-web browser app) to provide position updates from time to time (allowing the user to set the interval, etc.)
Truly kosher way could be:
1) enable XEP-0080 in IM client (and make it behave properly not to run GPS receiver constantly)
2) kindly ask google to update location data with XEP-0080 info provided via gtalk ;-)

If you can get them to accept that, then I'm more than happy

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Uhm installed maemo-geolcation, went to the provided URL, but it doesn't seem to get my position?

missing some steps?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Uhm installed maemo-geolcation, went to the provided URL, but it doesn't seem to get my position?
You'll need to close all browser windows at a minimum, and possibly reboot, before the location plug-in is loaded. You'll know you're on the right track when upon your return to Google Latitude, a non-Fremantle-ish dialog box appears and asks your permission to share your location data.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Yeah indeed I had to reboot the device....

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 199 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Concepcion, Chile
http://github.com/ablyler/playnice

a php code for update google latitude for iphone

is easy to use class.google.php to send a latitude, longitude and accuracy to google.

now... i'm translating to QT

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rlinfati For This Useful Post:
Good find

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Ok, so I decided to do some looking. The iPhone version of Latitude is run thorough a webpage, so I thought I might give the same a go.

Seems to work.

Install the maemo-geolocation plugin for the browser;

In the browser open "http://www.google.co.uk/maps/m?view=...urce=mog&gl=uk" which is the page the iPhone opens. There doesn't seem to be a check on the useragent (except if you try to open google.co.uk directly).

I guess it will be something similar for people not in the UK, a combination of desktop Firefox + "User Agent Switcher" + tcpdump should tell you exactly if you can't work it out by guessing.

Then click away and use the (web)app.

Location updates seem to work automatically.

I've not done much testing, but am ever hopeful this will give us access to a shared location service (as Latitude is sort of a de-facto standard now as it's supported by so many phones).

The one thing I have noticed is that it doesn't change the "last updated" time for a user, this is changed, iirc, if you use the Google homepage Latitude applet, so there's presumably some way of doing it.

Let me know if it does or doesn't work for you.
This is very interesting, thank you for posting this mate

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
You can use the iphone app:
http://maps.google.es/maps/m?mode=latitude

For me works on maemo5 + firefox mobile (html5)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pretoriano For This Useful Post:

Tags
google, location