Poll: Given the things mentioned below, is it fair to call Neo900 "100% open device"?
Poll Options
Given the things mentioned below, is it fair to call Neo900 "100% open device"?

Closed Thread
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by lexik View Post
  • "open" and "free", what's the correct definition? Even N900 is amazingly "free" and "open" compared to the NSAndroids. I hope, hell I BELIEVE that GDC and Joerg is (was) trying to do the best for Neo900. (And I know, from time to time, people disagree about what's best.
    Eagle schematics are really important (not only) for me, but even without them, Neo900 would be my only choice.
  • Don't let this amazing project collapse just and only because of personal disagreement.
The schematics will get published, probably even the eagle representation (*.sch). Of course we'll also publish proper useful component placement info. This is strictly about PCB LAYOUT (inner invisible layers and footprints down to 0.01 inch accuracy) which is done by a tool Nikolaus developed and is using footprint libraries that are Nikolaus' property. In fact you will get all the info needed to actually build your own Neo900, just you had to do some work for layout on your own. I'd be more than happy as an EE for such quality of documentation to be found for any device I had to deal with, on whatever level. As a chinese copycat I'd laugh my a*** off on seeing some company publishing the layout/gerber files to do a favor to their customers - unless such company wants to sell chips instead of devices and thus foster development of products using those chips by publishing a reference design. Nevertheless I am in favor for publishing the layout project files as well, just not promise anything right now, since it has low priority as I already explained.

And definitely no personal disagreement between Neo900 group and Estel will cause the project to collapse. Prospects reading and believing his badmouthing and lies might though.

BR
jOERG

PS: somehow I feel like this thread should get closed and moved to off-topic, since it's spreading FUD about a non-issue, based on unjustified expectations and personal misinterpretation of terms like "open device", of one person that obviously rather wants to run a vendetta than help the project.

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-05-19 at 15:20.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I think all threads should be respected for what they are. But if you can't. Say it in 100 words I'm. Not sure it'. Is. Worth reading. Yeah. Aim smaller. Aim small. Miss small.

Would love if some one could sum it on in a few words or atleast explain it in mathematical terms how to calculate how open a device is.

My 2 dollars.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-05-19 at 14:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I think all threads should be respected for what they are. But if you can't. Say it in 100 words I'm. Not sure it'. Is. Worth reading. Yeah. Aim smaller. Aim small. Miss small.
see my post above, it's as short as it gets about all the relevant facts regarding this topic.
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Would love if some one could sum it on in a few words or atleast explain it in mathematical terms how to calculate how open a device is.
a very few words: it's as open as you conceive it to be.

me trying to decode the secret message in above post, from punctuation and random Capitals BS IN I WY A AM
/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-05-19 at 14:52.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Wait. Let the poll decide.

Still we should have options for:
99% open
76% open
55% open
19% open

Can't take this thread serious without these options. Sorry.

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-05-19 at 15:05.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Finally read it : I just cant understand why this thread was created ?to troll ? To damage the partialy stumbled project ? Serious miscomunication ? jeorgs sometimes irritating nature ? Whatever i think if jeorg can quote my irrelevant arrogant posts with ease and still reply meaningfully i wonder was someone been smoking weed lately ? p.s - jeorg's late editings are very inconvinent and imformative/to the point in nature.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
Finally read it : I just cant understand why this thread was created ?to troll ? To damage the partialy stumbled project ? Serious miscomunication ? jeorgs sometimes irritating nature ? Whatever i think if jeorg can quote my irrelevant arrogant posts with ease and still reply meaningfully i wonder was someone been smoking weed lately ? p.s - jeorg's late editings are very inconvinent and imformative/to the point in nature.

Put me in charge of this ASAP!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Answer this - can i run diffrent arm distros on neo900 Like i can on my small slick netbook ? Main reason to ask is its fun experimenting with and to me open means i can run whatever and still all parts be functional as normal.

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
Answer this - can i run diffrent arm distros on neo900 Like i can on my small slick netbook ? Main reason to ask is its fun experimenting with and to me open means i can run whatever and still all parts be functional as normal.
Though that's OT in this thread, a simple and quick answer: 100% YES, that's what Neo900 is made for

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on May 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by lexik View Post
  • "open" and "free", what's the correct definition? Even N900 is amazingly "free" and "open" compared to the NSAndroids. I hope, hell I BELIEVE that GDC and Joerg is (was) trying to do the best for Neo900. (And I know, from time to time, people disagree about what's best.
    Eagle schematics are really important (not only) for me, but even without them, Neo900 would be my only choice.
  • Don't let this amazing project collapse just and only because of personal disagreement.
well said!

anyway, i don't like the atmosphere of this thread...
I think it is pointless to argue about "it is 100% open or not" knowing that's the first goal of the device, has the n900 successor.
and we must not forget that apart the hardware aspect, there are also the financial and legal aspects to deal. it WILL take some time, they are not making a cake. So don't panic.

thank to the team for your work and time you spend on the neo900 project!

PS : off topic but, how many people are REALLY involved in the project?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinchan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinchan View Post
PS : off topic but, how many people are REALLY involved in the project?
Three, and by now you should know who those are ;-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
hardware, neo900, openess